kissack

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Hello,

I have a setup which uses MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 as a prerequisite, but after moving to the latest version of AI (some OS updates not sure), the setup would install the pre-requisite, but then would complain that it did not get installed correctly. Read the forums on adjusting the pre-requisite condition. Not sure which one to put,so I removed the pre-requisite and tried to add it again. But I can't see it. The only thing I can see is, Microsoft C++ Runtime Libraries IA64, which when added caused another problem. If I download the VC++ runtime from MS and install manually my product works, but how would I create it as a pre-requisite so it installs automatically if needed. I need to use the x86 version even on 64 bit environments. What registry condition would I use.
Any insights ?

UPDATE:
Found the pre-requisite under Visual Studio, the other one was under Visual Studio Prerequisites. The only down side is that it downloads it. My setup needs to work for clients without internet access as well. Is there a way how to include the Visual C++ together with my setup, so internet connection is not neccessary ?
Thank you.
Cosmin

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Hi,

You can include the prerequisite in your package by selecting "File in package" in Location combo from Properties tab in "Edit Prerequisite" dialog.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
JeffLawson

Just to follow up on the prerequisites...I am including 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86' as a prerequisite. Selecting this package results in Advanced Installer 10.3 build 51779 (i.e. the latest version as of this post) adding four registry values as install conditions based on:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86\Rbld

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86\Bld

On Windows 7 and 8 these values are not present in the registry after 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86' installation and the error prompt about failure to install appears.

I found that by deleting the default registry value conditions and adding the following condition:

Product Version (identify by Product Code)
{F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}

everything worked fine.

It would be helpful for Advanced Installer to update its functionality accordingly :-)

Also, there are various options for redistributables that are mutually exclusive, e.g. 'Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86' and 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86'. Traditionally, a service pack is applied against software that is already installed. For 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86', however, the presence of 'Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86' is not required so putting both 'Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86' and 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86' in the same setup is redundant (unless they correspond to exclusive conditions, for some reason) and will lead to a continuous cycle of prompts for the user.

It would be helpful, therefore, if mutually exclusive packages could be identified by Advanced Installer and the developer warned when more than one is added :-)
Daniel

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

I've tested the scenario on Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines, but I cannot reproduce the behavior. All the related registry values used by default for our "Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86" predefined prerequisite package are created after the prerequisite is installed. Also, please keep in mind that on 64-bit machines the above registry values are created under Wow6432Node registry key.

Can you reproduce the behavior on multiple clean machines? If so, can you please try to isolate the behavior in a sample and send it us so we can test and investigate it?
It would be helpful, therefore, if mutually exclusive packages could be identified by Advanced Installer and the developer warned when more than one is added

We will try to add an improvement regarding this in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
JeffLawson

Thanks for your thoughtful response and for your welcome message, Daniel :-)

I didn't look into Wow6432Node but I would want a single distributable for all platforms anyway.

The {F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5} check works for me.

You can download my Advanced Installer setup program (without the failing registry checks) from here:

http://downloads.localphone.com/interne ... indows.exe

It includes 'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86' which looks for {F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5} and works on all Windows versions from XP onwards, as far as I can tell.

As I said, when I ran a version that checked for the default (Advanced Installer provided) registry values on Windows 7 and 8 the registry was not updated with those values (dunno about Wow6432Node).
Daniel

Hello,
Thanks for your thoughtful response and for your welcome message, Daniel
You're always welcome.
The {F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5} check works for me.
Indeed, the search done by Product Code ({F0C3E5D1-1ADE-321E-8167-68EF0DE699A5}) is also a valid install condition for "'Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable x86" prerequisite package.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Dan

Hello,

This was fixed in version 11.0 of Advanced Installer released on March 13th, 2014.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
TobiV

Hi,

could you add support for Outlook 2016? We would like to adjust our installer to the new version.

Thanks!
Dan

Hello,
could you add support for Outlook 2016? We would like to adjust our installer to the new version.
I assume you are interest by the predefined Installed Office application Software Launch Conditions, right?

We will update the software launch condition to Office 2016 in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

If you have other questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan

Hello,

The Launch conditions for Office 2016 have been added in version 12.4 of Advanced Installer released on September 7th, 2015.

Best regards,
Dan

Return to “Common Problems”