Firefox

Merge Module Dll Registration

Hi there,

I have a merge module that puts a dll in the install directory this is a COM module, the DLLRegisterServer is an exported function. Within this function several registry keys that are meant to be set. I have selected self registration in the dll property within the merge module. When i run the install the COM Dll is registered (as i can sucessfully manually unregister it from the command line) yet non of the registry keys are being set that are in the DLLRegisterServer.

I found a way of making the install work but only for the first install attempt. I did this by changing the method the DLL is registered then recompiling the merge module. This made the install work for the next attempt only. If i then went back into the merge module and changed it again and compiled it would it work another time.

Is there anything anyone can suggest i try?

Thanks
gigi

Hi,

You can try configurable Merge Modules, read more about them here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... dules.html

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Gigi
Firefox

Not sure if thats what i need... The problem seems to be the COM registration in the merge module is not being performed correctly by AI it seems to add the keys that are present in the DLLRegisterServer function but not those present in the .rgs registry resource file. I added the content of the merge module directly into a AI msi and it seems to work fine.

Is there some thing i am missing?

Thanks
scorseze

Hi,

I've had similar problems with COM dll's not registering properly when they are included in a merge module. There was an update patch which appeared to fix this problem, but I have found it to only fix the problem intermittently.

The same installer package (with a merge module included) will work on one machine, but will fail to register COM dlls from the merge module on another. Re-installing the .msi or manually registering with regsvr32 are workarounds to the problem, but it doesn't really represent an enterprise solution to many thousands of machines.

I would be grateful for any information on this and any idea as to whether it is likely to be fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please send us the log of an installation that does not work as expected to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem. You can create a log by using this command:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i package.msi /l*v package.log
where "package.msi" is your MSI.

Also, please mention in your email which COM DLLs are not registered properly.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”