Thanks for looking into this Mihai.
I've managed to reproduce our problem on a couple of Windows 7 machines and a Windows XP machine. Is there anything you might recommend I check to do with set up of an Updater?
If it helps these are the setting we have in the Updater section under Product Information:
- 'Check for updates before application install' is NOT checked
- 'Enable Advanced Updater' is checked.
File Name: OurAppUpdater- Run Updater:
File Icon: Not set
As a Windows scheduled task
Task Name: OurAppUpdater.exe
Install Condition: 1
Command Line: /silent
Working Folder: [APPDIR]
User Account: Property based user
Run only if user is logged on is checked
A schedule is set
Everything else in the task properties is either unchecked or blank
I've attempted a work around by doing an 'Uninstall Cleanup' on the files I mentioned were left behind, but this does not seem to remove them either.
Thanks again for your help.