ehardin

Updated to 5.2 but installer now can't find files in 5.1

I had 5.1 and just updated to 5.2.

Now, when I compile, I get the error
Creating MSI database... error.
Exception - Reason: File [C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 5.1.1\resources\uninstall.ico] could not be read.

I even went so far as to copy the 5.2 resources to the 5.1 folder that was still there but empty but I still get the same error.

Please help ASAP as I need to get this new version of my app out the door as soon as possible.

Ed
ehardin

I was able to edit the .aip file with note pad and change the 5.1.1 reference to 5.2 and that fixed the problem.

No telling why the old reference sayed in after the update, however.

Ed
gigi

Hi,

I cannot reproduce this behavior on my test computer. How exactly you get the absolute path ("C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 5.1.1\resources\uninstall.ico") as the shortcut icon? Have you browsed manually in the "Edit Shortcut Properties" dialog?

However to avoid this on future set this: <uninstall.ico> instead of the absolute path in the AIP file.

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
ehardin

You mention browsing the "Edit Shortcut Properties" but I can find that dialog. Where is this?
gigi

Hi,

To edit the shortcut properties switch to "Files and Folders" page select the shortcut and choose "Properties" from context menu. The "Edit Shortcut Properties" is displayed.

But I don't understand how you get the absolute path as shortcut icon, unless you browse for it manually?

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
ehardin

Oh, I see that the uninstall icon was for one of my shortcuts. I had seen the Caphyon directory and assumed that it was an icon used by Advanced Installer for maybe when the user goes to Add/Remove Programs.

I don't think that I would have ever manually typed in such a long path. I keep all of my icons in a C:\Graphics folder.

I am a previous InstallShield user. This project has hundreds of files and I didn't relish having to manually enter all of them just to test AI. I discovered your Repackager and ran that. I then discovered that it created references to copies of my files and not to my actual work-a-day files so I edited the .aip file to changed the file path references to my real files. All I can think of is that the repackager had this hard coded path to the icon. If I was manually editing it, I would have pointed to my C:\Graphics folder.

Thanks

Ed

Return to “Common Problems”