fieryideas

help please appreciated - total ignoramous

Hi,

I have a series of Flash games I wish to package up and install, all .exe's. These will be installed over a school network over 80 computers.

Is it possible to create a MSI that can can have the serial validation entered once and then install on all 80 machines without the need to add the serial again?

Any help really appreciated

Michael
Cosmin

Hi,

Can you please give more details about how the MSI will be distributed?

If you use the Serial Number Validation feature a serial number will be required for each installation. On the other hand, if you don't use Serial Number Validation then you won't have to enter a serial for each installation.

However, if you use Group Policy to distribute the MSI then you can set the property that holds the serial number by using a parameter. For example, the command:

Code: Select all

test.msi PIDKEY=1234-5678
will install the "test.msi" package with the serial number "1234-5678". Note that in this case the GPO distributed MSI will have the same serial number on all computers.

You can read more about the Serial Number Validation feature here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
fieryideas

Thanks

Ok,

I want to create an installer that would require a serial validation, but only to be validated once so once installed an ICT technician can they install it sliently across say a Windows 2000 server network. The mina point being technicians don't want to enter the serial on each computer. They just want to enter it once on the erver and then distribute it.

I am a flash programmer no a network guru.

My somewhat crude solution has been to make a silent install msi (no serial) and then wrap it in an installer which require serials validation to realease the Silent Install version

Is there a simpler way?

M
Cosmin

Hi,
My somewhat crude solution has been to make a silent install msi (no serial) and then wrap it in an installer which require serials validation to realease the Silent Install version

Is there a simpler way?
I'm not sure if there's a simpler way, but this is a good solution if you need to have a serial validation for you MSI. This way your installation will require a serial number and it can be installed silently in a network.

Note that you can also create a single installation package that will require the serial number and install the files. This package will be distributed through the GPO by the ICT technician like in my previous example.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”