charlie

How can I collect user data?

Hi there,

I have been doing some tests with the trial version, and we are about to buy the Enterprise Edition, but I was just wondering whether anyone could help me with a small question. (I've scoured the help file and the FAQ and tried to search on the forum, but no luck - so I thought I'd post : )

I have created an extra setup dialog that simply has a text box and asks the user to enter their company name. I would like to collect this data as a record of which of our suppliers have installed the package we have given them.

Is it possible to send this data to an email address, or upload it to a web server or any other method to collect the data when they first install or even when the updater connects, whichever is easiest?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

- Charlie
Cosmin

Hi,

The data written in the Edit box will be stored in the property used by this dialog control. You can set the name of this property in the "Property Name" field in the "Properties" page of the Edit box.
Is it possible to send this data to an email address, or upload it to a web server or any other method to collect the data when they first install or even when the updater connects, whichever is easiest?
This can be done by creating a custom action that sends the value of the property through the Internet, but I'm not sure what exactly this custom action will look like.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
charlie

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful :)

I'll try playing with the custom actions and see if I can figure it out, does anyone else out there have any idea how I might achieve this?

Thanks again

- Charlie

Return to “Common Problems”