lhardenbrook

Please Help-Need the user to choose install location

Hello!
First off - I am not a programmer, so please structure your answers with that in mind.

I need to configure an installation so that the end user decides where the files go. I have tried everything I can think of, but I can't get it to work. I don't want a bunch of extraneous info and choices shown to the end user - all I care about is that they can choose the directory where the app is installed rather than programming it ahead of time.

Here is the context: Traditionally we have sold our products as single-user applications. I've set it up so that the executables install to C:/Program Files / Manufacturer/Title. NOW they want to sell an "enterprise version" that is run from a network location. I don't want the program to go to C:/Program Files / Manufacturer / Title. I want to force the user to choose a location. Does that make sense??

Thanks!
Laura
Last edited by lhardenbrook on Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rene Frederiksen

Easy solution

Hello.
If you use the F1 Help funktion you get your answer;

Installation Folders
Application Folder - this is where the application files will be installed by default. The user can change this location during the installation process by clicking on the [ Browse ] button.
Application Shortcut Folder - this is where the application shortcuts will be installed by default. It is for shortcuts what "Application Folder" is for files.

Wetter you can FORCE him/her make a special selection I dont know...I think, that SOME kind of "pre choice" is made always...I dont think you can bypass that..."That field can not be emty"

BR
Rene Frederiksen
lhardenbrook

The problem is that when I run through a test installation there is no browse button. One never appears. That is the problem. I was given instructions on how to use the software to set up our product installations. The person who wrote those instructions has since left the company, and I am figuring out how to adjust our processes as our products evolve and change. Apparently we never wanted to give the user the option of choosing the install location before, so that option is not active.

What option do I need to activate in order to give the user the option?

I have the Enterprise version of Advanced Installer.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Laura
Cosmin

Hi Laura,

I have answered to your question in another post, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... php?t=4154

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”