TomGarrett

Repackager: Multiple capture profiles in the same project?

Hi,

I would like to know how to use the repackager to capture different snapshots, save them in separate profiles and then customise the project to carry out the steps captured depending on the profile being used.

For example, run a repackager on a client install, run again under a new profile for a standalone install and once more a new profile for the server profile. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Tom
Cosmin

Hi,

Advanced Installer Repackager allows you to manage multiple snapshots through the "System Snapshots" dialog in the Repackager Wizard. In this dialog you can create a new capture, start a capture from a saved snapshot and save the current snapshot.

Also, in the next dialog ("Customize Settings") you can choose an existing profile or create a new one.

You can read more about the Repackager tool here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... oject.html
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... kager.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TomGarrett

Hi Cosmin,

I don't seem to be getting email notifications of replies....
anyway, to the point:

I would like to guarantee a fresh start on each capture, meaning that I am using a virtual hard disk to simulate a customers setup. This is more of a protection against bad installs rather than a lack of faith in the repackager software. The only problem is that I run it on the virtual disk, then I destroy that virtual disk and obviously my snapshot and cached install files are lost. Now, I can copy those files to my master machine but then the file associations are all out of sync. Do you have any recommendations for achieving this kind of fresh install information?
Cosmin

Hi,
I can copy those files to my master machine but then the file associations are all out of sync.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please give more details about this? What file associations are you referring to?
Do you have any recommendations for achieving this kind of fresh install information?
A good solution is to capture the installation on the virtual disk, copy the RPK and captured files from the output folder to the build machine and open the RPK project with Advanced Installer.

Note that the paths stored in the RPK files are relative, therefore the files will have valid paths when moved to another folder as long as the RPK file is next to them.

Please note that the Repackager uses relative paths in order to maximize efficiency, therefore if the target installation installs in the "C:\Program Files" folder then the Repackager will use the [ProgramFilesFolder] property.

However, if the target folder cannot be mapped (for example "D:\Work") then the Repackager will use a property-based folder with an absolute path (this may cause problems when moving the project to another machine). Note that this also applies to saved profiles.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”