tekomino

How to include Serial dialog per build

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:50 pm

Hello,

I am evaluating product and so far I've been able to do almost everything I need. There is one thing though that I am struggling with.

I have the installer with 4 builds. For 2 of these builds I want to ask for serial number but not for other 2. I would prefer not to include serial dialog with accompanied DLL at all into the builds that do not ask for serial.

Any suggestions on how I can do this with Enterprise version? Are there command line options that would allow turning off the serial number feature?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cosmin

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:40 am

Hi,

I'm afraid that this feature is not supported directly, however, you can do this by using conditions for custom control events.

For example:
- you have two builds: Build1 and Build2
- in the "Dialogs" page you go to the "WelcomeDlg" dialog and select the "Published Events" tab for the "Next" button
- you set these control events:

Code: Select all

NewDialog       FolderDlg              AI_INSTALL AND AI_BUILD_NAME<>"Build1"
NewDialog       UserRegistrationDlg    AI_INSTALL AND AI_BUILD_NAME="Build1"
- this will show the "UserRegistrationDlg" dialog only for the Build1 build
- for the "Back" button on the "FolderDlg" dialog you set these control events:

NewDialog       WelcomeDlg             AI_INSTALL AND AI_BUILD_NAME<>"Build1"
NewDialog       UserRegistrationDlg    AI_INSTALL AND AI_BUILD_NAME="Build1"
- now you need to make sure that the custom action associated with the serial validation feature is executed only for Build1; for this you open the AIP with a text editor and you find this line:

<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.MsiInstExSeqComponent">
- under it you modify the ROW Action="AI_VALID_SERIAL" to look like this:

<ROW Action="AI_VALID_SERIAL" Condition="(NOT Installed) AND (UILevel <> 5) AND (ProductID) AND (AI_BUILD_NAME="Build1")" Sequence="725"/>
- basically you add the (AI_BUILD_NAME="Build1") condition to the serial validation custom action in order to execute it only for Build1

If you need a sample project then please contact me at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

tekomino

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:52 pm

Thank you so much this is very helpful.

Return to “Common Problems”