CraigW

File Association causing Setup to Re-Run

Hi there,

I'm having a strange problem with my installer setup and our application.

I have a basic file association setup with the installer which is for an *.rsd file. Now when the user first installs the application on a machine everything installs fine, and if you double click on an RSD file the application opens succesfully with the correct file.

If i then close the application, then double click on the RSD again, this then runs the Setup File for my application (reinstalling everything again).

There is nothing in our code which would effect any of this on first run. The application is not even executed at all after its first time.

Note* if i let the second installation run though, everything seems to work fine from then on.

I can't think of anything else which would cause this.

The file associations only contain the "Open" setting, pointing to the exe with the argument "%1". Nothing else is in this section.

Can anyone point me in the right direction at all? or has anyone come across something like this?

Thanks for your time,

Kind regards,

Craig
Cosmin

Hi,

This happens because your application triggers an on demand installation.

To get more information about the cause of the on demand install open the Event Viewer ("Start -> Run", "eventvwr.msc") and look under the Application node for "MsiInstaller" log messages of the form:

Code: Select all

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1001
Description:
Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature 'Example' failed during request for component '{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}'
The message and the GUIDs will of course be different on your machine. This should give you an idea about the component that triggers the install.

If you cannot find recent events in the Event Viewer (these are created when running the on demand install) then please contact me at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
CraigW

Great.. this helped solve the problem.

The cause of the on-demand installation was that when our application wasfirst run, we would install our MySQL database, then once installed we would then delete our batch files (which are files placed as part of the install) which conduct the installation.

It seems as though the exe does a check before it runs that all files are in the directory, and if they are not, then the install is re-run.

Thanks for your help cosmin.

Cheers, :)

Craig

Return to “Common Problems”