johnny english

serial number problem

Hi

just when i thought I had it sorted out!
I have done a build using serial numbers generated by advanced installer
and I can save them to a text file.

my problem is that I may need to do a new build at some stage and I don't want to have to change all the serial numbers every time I do. As we will have them on a database and users might want to download a new build but use their old serial numbers!

is it possible to import the serials I have saved, into a new build.

thanks

JE
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that the predefined list of serial numbers cannot be imported into another project.

However, you can create your own custom DLL which validates the serial number entered by the user. The DLL will always be the same and it can be imported in any Advanced Installer project. Also, you can add, remove or modify serials or change their format (this method allows you full control over the list of serial numbers).

You can read more about this here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ation.html
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... n-dll.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
johnny english

serial number user defined

HI,

with the risk of being a bit thick.
with the dll download example provided, where do the actual serial numbers go? I can see lots of text files and a dll but no actual numbers.

the guide and example are good, but I need a bit more hand holding and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

can you expand, even a bit, on how this is done

ta

JE
Cosmin

Hi,

In the sample serial validation DLL you can see these lines:

Code: Select all

//validate the text from szPidKey according to your algorithm 
//put the result in snIsValid 
This will be replaced by your custom code which will check the serial number entered by the user (for example you can compare it against an array or you can compare it with values from a file) and set the snIsValid variable which is used to know if the serial number provided by the user is valid.
I can see lots of text files and a dll but no actual numbers.
Please note that the Serial Number Validation DLL Sample Project contains a sample Advanced Installer project which uses a serial validation DLL, the Visual Studio project which creates the DLL and the resulted DLL file.

Also, the sample DLL doesn't use predefined serial numbers, instead it uses a template and a custom algorithm which validates the serial number entered by the user.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”