king_kobra

Vista not restarting explorer

Hello,

I have an application which contains shell extensions to Windows Explorer. When doing an update, Vista is smart enough to realize that explorer.exe is using some of the .dlls that are being replaced in the update and asks the user if it should automatically close and restart explorer. The default option is to close and restart explorer. It looks like the Dialog for this is called MsiRMFilesInUse under the AI Special Dialogs list.

The problem is that on some Vista updates, explorer will fail to restart. I'm not 100% sure why but I think it has something to do with other processes that get in the way. For example, one of the systems that fails to restart explorer is running some kind of Symantec programs manager.

1) Since I'm forcing a reboot anyway, is there a way to prevent Vista from attempting to close the applications? For example, dont display the Files In Use dialog at all and just default the behavior not to close applications.

2) Is there a way I can tell Windows to launch explorer and the conclusion of the install?

Thank you,

Wes

P.S. I have version 4.9.2.
Cosmin

Hi,
1) Since I'm forcing a reboot anyway, is there a way to prevent Vista from attempting to close the applications? For example, dont display the Files In Use dialog at all and just default the behavior not to close applications.
I'm afraid that this is handled by Windows Installer and it cannot be controlled. If Windows Installer detects that files which need to be upgraded are in use, it will show the FilesInUse dialog to allow you to close them.

A solution would be to have the "Do not close applications" option in the FilesInUse dialog selected by default. This way the update of the files in use will be performed after a reboot.

You can set this option to be selected by default by modifying the properties of the two radio buttons on the MsiRMFilesInUse dialog (change the "Selected" field to "True").
2) Is there a way I can tell Windows to launch explorer and the conclusion of the install?
Since this behavior is completely controlled by Windows Installer and the Windows OS, it cannot be changed.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”