Borgas

Custom Action SQL 2005

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:24 am

I am trying to run SQLEXPR.EXE in custom action install and i works fine until i add Sql script.
Sql scripts is runing before SQLEXPR.EXE.
Is it possible to move SQL scripts Execution after Custom action SQLEXPR.exe execution?

Cosmin

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:06 am

Hi,

If your application requires other software to be installed (like SQL Server 2005 Express) it is recommended to install this software by using prerequisites. You can read more about this feature here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... requisites
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... tware.html
Is it possible to move SQL scripts Execution after Custom action SQLEXPR.exe execution?
Note that you cannot move a standard action, but you can move the custom actions you use. If you need to see a standard action you can use the "Show Standard Action" button on the toolbar in the Custom Actions page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Borgas

Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:21 am

The Problem with Prerequisit is that i runs before installation wizard. It mean that i cant dynamicly set Database password or Instancename and so on.....

The SQL server sould only install if i select i in installation wizard.

Cosmin

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:47 am

Hi Boris,

Since the SQL Server installation is MSI based and two MSI-based installations cannot run at the same time, the custom action which installs SQL Server can be executed only after the "InstallFinalize" standard action.

Since the scripts are executed before this standard action, the only solution is to install SQL Server as a prerequisite.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”