Israel

DLL registration problem

Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:42 am

Hi,

During the installation of our application we copy several DLL and OCX files to windows system folder, and we register them.
Currently we use the option of 'Self Registration' because it seems to be the default option, and when we tried 'Register from file' our application didn't work.

Our current [u][b]urgent problem[/b][/u] is that on some stations the registration of several DLL files fails, even though the installation completes successfully and the log file repost so, without mentioning that the registration failed.

The DLL files are designated 'Vital' so I expect the installation to fail if the registration of the file fails.

I suspect the problem is related to 'Shared DLL' count of the files, since initializing the shard count solves the problem.
I also succeeded to reproduce the problem by registering the DLL files to some folder, deleting the folder and later installing the application.

The problem didn't occur when I installed the DLL files using an MSI created by visual studio deployment tool.

Do you have any idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Israel Sadeh

Cosmin

Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Hi Israel,

Under the circumstances you have mentioned the best solution is to use custom actions to register and unregister the DLL. There is an example for the custom action on the forum, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... tom+action

You can create the unregister custom action by modifying the register one. Note that you should condition these custom actions by using the component of the DLL. For example

Code: Select all

($Component = 3) AND  (?Component = 2))
for install and

Code: Select all

(($Component = 2) AND (?Component = 3))
for uninstall.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”