UnstoppableDrew

Creating registry entries question

I just tried to create some registry keys with my installer, but they got assigned only to the current feature. Is there a way to add these keys whenever the installer is run, regardless of which feature(s) are selected ?
Thanks
ssearles

One way I do that is tie the Feature to a conditional statement that is always true...
UnstoppableDrew

Well that worked, I created a feature called RegistryEntries, made it part of typical install and don't display. So this leads to part two of my problem.

Here's what I'm trying to do: My installer asks a bunch of questions, like host names and db info. I want to store all the user's responses in the registry, then next time you run the installer, read them back and prepopulate the dialogs. So I added Searches for the keys, and assigned them to the appropriate properties. Now the question is how do I use that in the dialog ?

For a given input field, how do I make the default value the retrieved registry key value if present, or some default text if not. Also how to set a pair of radio buttons based on retrieved value or default ?

Thanks!
UnstoppableDrew

Never mind, I got to to work. Amongst all my fiddling around I had changed the name of one of the registry keys, so my searches were failing to find the data I had written. Still needs some tweaking but basically works.

Return to “Common Problems”