Trevor

Updater

Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi,

Could someone please help me with a problem using the updater.exe.
I am trying to test the updater facility by creating a small test patch which I have created from the original MSI file and just changed the version number on a component within and then created the second msi.

I have managed (after some trial and effort) to create a patch MSP from the two MSI files. When I run the patch via the interface (i.e. from Run and Log) it runs through and completes with the message successful.

When I run the patch using the UPDATER.exe I get a message saying 'Some of the updates failed to install' even though it does everything it is suppose to.

Any ideas? :)

Regards
Trevor

Cosmin

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Trevor,

You are encountering this behavior because you are using an incorrect detection criteria for the update in the Updates Configuration Project.

It is recommended to use as a detection criteria the version of the main EXE of your application (if it changes in the update) or a registry value which holds the version of the installation package.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rties.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Trevor

Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi Cosmin,

Your quite right, I was actually using the main exe the indicator, however I was assuming the updater merely checked for the existence of the file after completing, I had overlooked the fact it was using the version as well, which I didn't want it to do as file versions are controlled elsewhere, so now I use the file size instead.

Thanks you for your assistance.
Regards
Trevor

Return to “Common Problems”