TomGarrett

Registry Key Permissions

Hello once again,

I am experiencing some problems installing on a laptop with different profile setups than I am used to.
There is a registry key which I am attempting to modify (by adding a subkey to it). This key is configured on the laptop to have Access Permissions for "Users". I thought that the installer created with AI was launching as though it was the user ("As Invoker" in the Media/Bootstrapper screen).

However, I get an error relating to a lack of access rights for this key.
If I alter the key permissions on the laptop to allow "SYSTEM" full control, I no longer get the problem. This leads me to believe the Installer is running as if it's the SYSTEM...whatever that means!

Any ideas how to get around this WITHOUT altering the access permissions on the laptop (we will be rolling out the system on many platforms and the less configuration, the better).

Thanks!
Cosmin

Hi,
This key is configured on the laptop to have Access Permissions for "Users".
Can you please give me more details about the type of permissions are set for the current user? Note that the current user needs read and write permissions for the registry in order to write to it.
I thought that the installer created with AI was launching as though it was the user ("As Invoker" in the Media/Bootstrapper screen).
The "As Invoker" option runs the installation with the privileges of the current user, therefore, if he doesn't have write access for a resource, the installation cannot write to the resource.
This leads me to believe the Installer is running as if it's the SYSTEM...whatever that means!
If the installation runs by impersonating SYSTEM then it has Administrator privileges (it can write anywhere).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TomGarrett

My current user has full access (it belongs to Administrators and User groups). I can manually access this key and write it, just not through the installer.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that even an Administrator can have restrictions for writing in the registry, the only difference from a normal user is that he can remove that restriction.

Therefore, I need to know what permissions you have set for the registry key. If you have set only read permissions for the current user (even if he has administrator privileges), then an installation package will use these permissions.

Please make sure that the current user has write permissions for the registry key which needs to be modified by the installation.

Regards,
Cosmin
TomGarrett

Ok, well I'm not sure I can provide you with anything new.
My user login is "ingres". Under Windows Control Panel, Users and Passwords the username is assigned to the Administrators and Users groups.

This is Windows 2000 Professional.
If I use Regedt32 I can view the reg keys, the problem one resides under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Linar.

The installer already creates its own branch of apps under HKLM\SOFTWARE but under Linar, it's child key is proving troublesome.
Linar has permissions: Administrators (Full), Creator Owner (None), Power Users (Read), SYSTEM (Full), Users (Full).

The child key, JintMkr only has Users (Full).

The key we are creating is the child of JintMkr.

On other systems on which it does work, JintMkr has the same settings as Linar.

Any other details needed?
Cosmin

Hi,

Since this works on other systems I'm afraid that the problem is with the machine you are using, not with the installation package.

Perhaps you configured the permissions incorrectly. You can try this with full access for all Groups.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”