vclamnet

Uninstaller to not delete folders

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Is therre a way to configure uninstaller to not delete the existing folder?
I have the installer created with advance updater turn on and allow automatic version upgrade.
In our environment, user does not have access to the install folder and we have a Group Policy to grant user read/write to the application destination folder where application is installed.
Everytime, the upgrade is run it remove existing version and delete all folders so the permission is lost.
User either have to wait for the GP to refresh or force the GP update.
Thanks,
Vinh,

vclamnet

Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm

my work around may be to grant permission to this folder at the end of the installation. Can someone show me how to accomplish this task?
Thanks,
Vinh,

Ionut

Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi Vinh,

As a general idea, it is not recommended for an application to store any user data in its installation folder. This data should be created under a folder that can be accessed by the user(s), such as the Application Data folder for the current user or for All Users.

However, if this is not possible in your case, you can set appropriate permissions on the Application Folder such that all users have Full Control access over it. In the Files and Folders page, select "Properties" from the context-menu of the "Application Folder" node. In the "Permissions" tab, set the following permissions for both the Administrators and Everyone groups:

Code: Select all

READ_CONTROL
DELETE
WRITE_DAC
WRITE_OWNER
SPECIFIC_RIGHTS_ALL
GENERIC_EXECUTE
GENERIC_WRITE
GENERIC_ALL
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

ssearles

Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:37 pm

another way you could prevent it is make a "stub" file that is permanent... useless, but never removed so the uninstall doesn't remove the directory.

That's how I've done it in one of my installers....

vclamnet

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:19 pm

Thank you both Ionut and Ssearles for your help.
Due to our customer policy I have change our program to not writing files in the application install directory and put it in the temp folder where it should be.
Just curious how you create stub file and make it permanent? using the installer or your program?

Cosmin

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 am

Hi,

A stub file can be a dummy file or a file in your installation (for example a Readme file) which is used for purposes other than the original ones.

In your case, the component of this stub file can be marked as permanent using the "Permanent" attribute in the "Component Properties" page (this page is shown when you select a component in the "Organization" page).
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... rties.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

vclamnet

Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:53 pm

Thank you!
I am new to this and there is a lot to learn here :)

Return to “Common Problems”