Ben Beresford

Force Patch Update

Our company currently has a in-house written auto updater that forces the user to upgrade their application before they can proceed. This ensures our database and client applications are in-sync.

Is it possible to use the Auto Updater with Advanced Installer to achieve the same result. Making sure that when they run the application, it calls the updater.exe (with some sort of parameters) and forces the install before the user application can proceed at all. We currently have the Professional edition, but would happily upgrade to Enterprise if this functionality is possible, as I assume we would need to use the Patch facility.

Regards

Ben
Cosmin

Hi,

This can be done with the Auto Updater by launching it with the /silentall parameter. With this option set, the Updater will search silently for updates and automatically install all updates.
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... dater.html

Also, we have an example for integrating the Updater in an application, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... dater.html

This feature requires only a Professional license, however, you need an Enterprise license to create patches.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
PavelRakowski

Re: Force Patch Update

I CAN NOT agree!
you have very big BUG and HOLE in this Advanced Installer!
My client also bought your Enterprise license December 2014, since there we can not force user to accpet updates BEFORE application start!!

Yes, you correct it will popup the MSGBOX with updater OR run as silent mode, BUT if use press "CANCEL" the updater EXIT and he can still use Application!

So what is the primary idea to use this? It makes no sense if you in Setup.aip set that "User can not disable updater" and EVEN THROUGH use can still PRESS CANCEL!!
So I don't think it is written with LOGIC.

Also this would help to monitor online licensing and if user ask refund we simply delete his serial from SQL online licensing, and then create new "Update" which user can not CANCEL and must accept, and then IF enter the old serial IT WILL NEVER let him install update and use application.

PS: You should think about it before you answer incorrect.
Daniel

Re: Force Patch Update

Hello,

To force your user to install the found updates, on your application startup you can launch the Updater with the /silentall -nogui command. In this way no Updater dialog will be displayed. Also, if you want the updates setup be launched silently (without displaying installation dialogs), then you should configure your updates configuration project to use a silent command line for the updates setup.

Let us know if you have any questions, otherwise please give us more details about the issue you are facing with.

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”