nesvt

Cannot get JRE to install as prerequisite

I know this topic has been discussed many times. I searched the forum, read the threads, and read the linked help files. Still cannot get it to work.

I am testing Advanced Installer 6.1.1 Trial with a Java application.
Everything is going fine and am very pleased so far. I cannot get the JRE prerequisite to work.

On a machine with JRE already loaded, it works fine.
On a machine with JRE below the minimum specified, the popup "JRE Not Found" appears when the application is started. It references the default URL http://www.java.com and not the EXE file I used.

Please review my settings and tell me what I am doing wrong.
Also need to know how to get the proper JRE installed when the application is installed (and not when the application is started).

I am not using JRE bundle. I am including jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe in the package so it can be installed offline. I do not want to use the online install via a URL.

Prerequisites -> Software

Properties
added Java Runtime Environment
Ver Min: 1.5
Ver Max: blank
File Path: C:\pmd_build_files_v1\jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe
all other fields on this tab are blank

Options
Force installation of this prerequisite is CHECKED.

Files
jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe is listed

Thank you.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior.

Can you please send us the AIP (Advanced Installer Project file) which shows this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
nesvt

I think I found the problem.

I have JRE 1.3.1_09 on the target machine.
I set the Prerequisite to min 1.4 and max <blank>.
The Java Products Settings is set to mininum 1.4 and maximum any, preferred 1.6.

When I attempt the install on the target system, I get the popup at run time to go to the URL for Sun. It says it needs min 1.4.

I removed JRE 1.3 from the target system. The prerequisite was now checked stating it requires JRE 1.0 (not 1.4). It completed the JRE 1.6 installation successfully.

Looking at the AIP file, I see a minimum set at 1.0.

The Prerequisite Install Condition Registry Subkey was set at min 1.0. I have set it to 1.4 and am performing another test.

I did not realize I had to set this value. My fault. Thank you.
toverly

Re: Cannot get JRE to install as prerequisite

I am also having this exact problem. When I go to run, my program it properly checks to see if I have JRE 1.6, and give me a warning dialog and asks for me to browse to the JRE. I have included the "jre-6u6-windows-i586-p-iftw" file in the software perquisites, in a File In Package. I have set up just like the previous poster. Although having the user uninstall all the JRE on their system doesn't seem like a good solution.

My question is what should the Edit Prerequisite options look like to force this to run if the system doesn't meet the necessary requirements?

Cheers!
Tim
Cosmin

Re: Cannot get JRE to install as prerequisite

Hi Tim,

Please note that the Add JRE or .NET Framework as a prerequisite how-to explains the steps you need to take when adding a JRE prerequisite. Basically, the prerequisite will be launched if the searches in the Install Conditions tab of the "Edit Prerequisite" dialog will fail.

Note that the "Ver Min" and "Ver Max" fields in the Properties tab of the "Edit Prerequisite" dialog are only shown in the prerequisite wizard (they do not affect the prerequisite installation).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”