Reiler

Cleaning registry

Hello
I'm a new user of AI, so please bear with me if this is a trivial question.

The application I'm installing is writing to the registry, HKCU [Software][Manufacturer][Productname]

Upon uninstall, I want to clean up probably, but it does not look like AI is doing that.

I have made a dummykey that IA writes when installing, and rightclicked on [Manufacturer] and checked Create (if absent) at install and Delete (if present) at uninstall.

This does the trick, the [Manufacturer] key and subkeys is deleted at uninstall.

But is this the right way to do it, and what if the user has other programs which have written to the [Manufacturer] key?

Thank you

Michael
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that all the components installed by a MSI package will be removed during an uninstall. However, a component will not be removed if you are using the "Permanent" attribute or the "Do not register this component with Windows Installer" option in the "Component Properties" page.

Also, it is not necessary to use the "Create (if absent) at install" and "Delete (if present) at uninstall" options (the registry entries should be removed automatically).

If the problem can be reproduced on other machines, please send us the AIP which shows this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.
what if the user has other programs which have written to the [Manufacturer] key?
If other applications write in the registry key created by your installation then the registry key will not be removed completely (only the entries which were created by your package).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”