guidway

load extensions with main application

I have a main application with many extensions. I'm trying to determine the best way to install my application and its extensions. Here is the caveat though... only some users will receive certain extensions (the extensions must be separate installs, not bundled together for this reason). Thought of two ideas, however if there is a better way please let me know. thanks

1.) My first idea is to create a main installer package for the application itself and each extension would be its own package. If I could somehow tell the main package to read a particular folder and see if any of the extension packages are there dynamically install them that would solve the problem. Not sure if this is possible though in Advanced Installer?!?!

The second idea is a spin off the first idea. Add all my extensions as features under the main package .msi file, but only allow them to be visible if the specific extension package exists in a directory.

I'm not sure the best way to handle this situation, or if either of these ideas are possible, please let me know.
Cosmin

Hi,

Since in the Windows Installer technology a file association is directly linked with the main EXE of the application, I'm afraid that the approaches you suggested are not supported by Windows Installer.

The solution is to to use a custom action for each file association you want to create. These custom actions can then be conditioned by using the "Custom Action Properties" page.

You can read more about custom actions here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”