Mitch

Error While Reading File

I'm a new user but have already successfully several installations with the Pro version. However I'm stumped with todays attempt, it appears to build OK but when I run it I get "An error occurred while reading the file". Running with logging shows no messages in the log window.

This installation is a single file exe with several folders, registry entries, file assoc., a LocalServer32 and a custom action to run an executable on commit. I've tried removing some of the parts to debug but still get the same error. This installation is quite a bit larger (42MB) then the previous ones I've created.

Mitch Wolberg
RockWare, Inc.
ciprian

Hi Mitch,

Can you please give me more details about this? What version of Advanced Installer are you using.? What OS are you testing on?

Please send the AIP to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate this problem?

Regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
Mitch

I'm using 6.2 Professional on XP Professional and I'll send the AIP file.

Thanks,
Mitch
Cosmin

Hi,

You are encountering this problem because the Product Name of your package contains a "/" character. Since the extract location of the EXE bootstrapper is set to "[AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install", this path will be resolved to something invalid (a path which contains the "/" character).

The solution is to remove the "/" character from the "Product Name" field in the "Product Details" page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Mitch

That's what I love about computers, its always so obvious once you know what the problem is.

Thanks for the quick reposnse!

Mitch

Return to “Common Problems”