abedb

patching a multilangual package

Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:03 am

hello,

I'm trying to build a patch for my installation package.. I started with a little demo to see how everything is working together and I succeeded to upgrade this demo installation to the upgraded version using the patch project. But.. when I moved back to my real installation package that I was supposed to upgrade.. it didnt work as expected.. after running the patch not all of the files are updated..

So.. after few hours of investigations I noticed that the problem is most probably related to the fact that I'm trying to build a patch for a multilangual package that uses the language dialog selector along with the conditions over the selected product language to install only the selected language files.. in other words.. my installation package has two kinds of folders to be installed: folders that are installed at any case.. regardless of the user choices.. and folders that are installed only if the selected language is the expected one for the specific folder..

now.. the patch succeeded in upgrading the first kind of folders but failed with the ones that were related to conditions.. (the conditions are set to zero by default and changed to 1 only if the product language property matched the specific language code for the same folder).

I tried looking at the forums but I didnt find any solutions for such a case..

can this be done??

I need your help.. it's really urgent..

Abed

Cosmin

Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm afraid that a multilingual package cannot be patched by using a Windows Installer patch file (Windows Installer doesn't support this).

The only solution in this case is to use different packages for every language. This way, the patch will be done between packages which use the same language.

If you don't like this approach, you can use a full upgrade to update the multilingual package. For this, you will use the automated upgrade feature which works like this:
- you install a MSI on the target machine,
- you increase it's version and update some of it's files
- you answer "Yes" when prompted about changing the Product Code
- when running the updated MSI on the target machine the old installation will be removed and the updated package will be installed

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”