Lin

Where are media distribution files??

Later .....

I've discovered that all the files are contained in the .msi file but it takes forever to run the installation if I call the msi file with autorun.inf from the CD.

How are people using this file? Do you automate a batch file to copy it to the hard disk and run it from there? I notice that running it from the hard disk it installs at light speed compared to trying to run it from the CD player.

So ignore what's below - my ignorance. I'm an old programmer from the Unix/DOS/CPM days. I'm computer literate but know nothing of modern software installation techniques so this new approach is still a mystery to me.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Best regards,

Lin

O.K., this may seem like a stupid question, but after creating and testing the installation on my hard disk, now I need to copy the appropriate files to a CD for distribution so my software can be installed on the recipient's computer.

I haven't a clue which files and where they reside. Normally, I would expect something like a "setup.exe" file and an "autorun.inf" file to be located somewhere but I can't seem to locate them so how the heck do I get the necessary files to burn to my CD for distribution?

Thanks much,

Best regards,

Lin
Cosmin

Hi,
I can't seem to locate them so how the heck do I get the necessary files to burn to my CD for distribution?
Depending on the settings you use in your Advanced Installer project, the files may be outside or inside the MSI, they can be included in an EXE file or in CABs or even in archives.

However, when you build the installation package all the files of the installation are generated in the build folder.

If you haven't set a build folder in the "Media" page, then these files will be created in the folder which contains the AIP (Advanced Installer project file). In this case you will place on a CD all the files and folders in the build folder, except the AIP file and the cache folder.

Also, please note that you simply copy/paste the files and folders on the CD like they were generated (you shouldn't alter their structure).
How are people using this file? Do you automate a batch file to copy it to the hard disk and run it from there?
In order to include an Autorun feature for your installation you can use the "CD/DVD Autorun" page. You can read more about this here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... torun.html

This will generate two other files: the autorun executable (which launches the installation) and the autorun INF file. When you place the installation package and these two files on the CD, the autorun is launched automatically and it performs the operations you have set in the "CD/DVD Autorun" page.
I notice that running it from the hard disk it installs at light speed compared to trying to run it from the CD player.
This is because of the CD-ROM drive (and/or CD) you are using and it is not related in any way to Advanced Installer or Windows Installer. Also, please note that the access speed of a hard-disk is significantly higher than the access speed of a CD-ROM drive.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”