TomGarrett

Temporary file removal

Hello there,

I have only just realised that adding files to the "Temporary" folder does not automatically make them temporary, and so I've been re-adding all of the files as "Temporary Files". The Temp directory on the target machine has more files in it than I would expect AFTER install has finished.
I think the first set of files are caused by using temporary files with the same property name.
The second set of files is what I'm here to ask about though.

I have a jar file to rewrite template files into their outputs. The templates and the jar file are temporary files. The custom action used is the CreateExeProcess in the aicustact.dll from Advanced Installer.
The number of files left behind (with names like tmp12B1.tmp) equal the number of rewrites performed. I have noticed in my experience that sometimes CMD prompts appear with these names.
Is the aicustact.dll responsible for creating these files? Regardless, how do I prevent their creation?

Thanks
Cosmin

Hi,
Is the aicustact.dll responsible for creating these files?
Yes, aicustact.dll creates these temporary files in order to record the output of the custom action in the log.
Regardless, how do I prevent their creation?
I'm afraid that you cannot prevent their creation (these TMP files are always created). Also, I'm not sure why this bothers you.

However, we will consider including an option which will not create these files (and not catch the output in the log).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
TomGarrett

Ok, no problem, it's not a problem for me personally, just my customer. But I'm sure I can convince them it's not an issue.

Back to the previous issue I'm having, there are temporary database input files which, even though they are added as temporary files (no other changes are made to them) some of them remain after install finishes.

The ones that remain happen to have the same name as some other files and upon closer inspection also have the same property name. Attempting to change these property names to something unique had the exact opposite effect and now ALL of these database files appear despite their "temporary" nature. Is the name of the property important in this case?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand this. What do you mean by "also have the same property name"? Note that files do not use any properties. Also, are these temporary files installed in the folder which contains the files with the same names as the temp files?

Can you please send us a test case (AIP and the resulted MSI) which reproduces this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin
TomGarrett

Well I have a bunch of files with the same name, stored in different folders based on their database name.

I.e.

Common
------->basic.in
------->common.in
Database 1
------->basic.in
------->database1specific.in
Database 2
------->basic.in
------->database2specific.in
Database 3
------->basic.in
------->database3specific.in

I've noticed that if I check the "Properties" of the temporary files with the same name they read:
File, Name:basic.in
File, Source Path:C:\CVS\data\Common\basic.in
Properties, Property:AI_BASIC.IN
Properties, Condition:

And then they only differentiate by the source path. So, each file has the same "Property" assigned to it.

I will send a ZIP shortly, as it's not entirely as clear-cut as I would hope.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that this is not the property of the file and it is not necessary to be unique. This is a property associated with the temporary file and it contains the file's extraction path.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ialog.html

Also, it doesn't matter if your installation package contains files with the same name as long as they are not installed in the same location.

Regards,
Cosmin.

Return to “Common Problems”