myLittleTools

IIS Virtual Directory name as a property

Hi there

I'm currently testing AI so that I can use it with our web-based apps.

I need a way to let the user choose the virtual directory name during the installation process. It looks like we cannot use a property for the virtual directory name, or I did not find how to do it. Any clue on how I could do that?

Also is there any solution to let the user choose in which website he wants to install the virtual directory (and not necessary the Default Website one) ?

Thanks in advance
Cosmin

Hi,
I need a way to let the user choose the virtual directory name during the installation process.
Currently this is not supported by Advanced Installer. However, we have on our TODO list an improvement which will allow you to use a property for the name of the virtual directory.

Until then, the workaround is to use a custom action which performs a temporary modification of the VirtualDirectory column from the AI_IIsVirtualDirectory table in the MSI file. There is a sample custom action on this thread (it modifies the Feature table):
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... php?t=1162
Also is there any solution to let the user choose in which website he wants to install the virtual directory (and not necessary the Default Website one) ?
This is also not supported by Advanced Installer, but we have on our TODO list a feature which will allow the user to choose the target website.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
myLittleTools

Thanks for your reply.
I tried the following:

Code: Select all

Function Test
  On Error Resume Next
  Set oDb = Session.Database 
  set oView = oDb.OpenView("SELECT VirtualDirectory FROM AI_IIsVirtualDirectory")
  oView.Execute
  Set oRecord = oView.Fetch
  ' MsgBox oRecord.StringData(1)
  oRecord.StringData(1) = "newVDValue"
  oView.Modify 4, oRecord
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox  oView.GetError()
  oView.Close
  If Err <> 0 Then MsgBox  Err.Description
End Function
The Virtual Directory name is correctly retrieved.
But it fails when i tried to modify its value.

Any idea?
Cosmin

Hi,

After further investigating this problem and consulting some script experts, it seems that what you need cannot be done.

Basically, you can update the name of the Virtual Directory, but the updated name would be available only during the UI sequence (it would still be created with the old name).

Since this workaround doesn't help you, the only solution is to wait until the improvement I mentioned is implemented in Advanced Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
myLittleTools

That's what I thought after having read a few threads and articles on this subject.

So the question is: when can we expect this release to be available? 1 week? 1 month? 1 year?

Thanks in advance
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure if we can add it to the 6.3 version of Advanced Installer, but this improvement will be included in the 6.4 version. The 6.4 version of Advanced Installer is scheduled for release in about two months.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”