cydude

custom dialog during uninstall not showing

I have a custom dialog that should be shown before uninstall to allow the user to choose to delete all configuration or leave it. This dialog is in the Maintenance section. When I run the uninstall it doesn't show up, but the property is set as though it ran. Is there some condition that has to be set to force the dialog to show?
Cosmin

Hi,

If you are uninstalling the application from the "Add or Remove Programs" applet in the Control Panel by using the "Remove" button, please note that no dialogs are shown.

If this is not the case, please send us the AIP which shows this problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it. Also, please specify which dialog shows this problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
cydude

yes this is via the "Add/Remove Programs" link. so if I understand you correctly, there is no way to force a dialog to be shown in this case.

I continue to be amazed at what can't be done with the windows installer. My NullSoft installer can do all of these things and much more, but I am being forced to use msi by our customer.
Cosmin

Hi,
so if I understand you correctly, there is no way to force a dialog to be shown in this case.
I'm afraid that Windows Installer performs a silent uninstallation when using the "Remove" button in "Add or Remove Programs", therefore you cannot show a Windows Installer dialog.

A simple solution is to go to the "Product Details" page and check the "Disable Remove" option. This way, the user will be able to select only the "Change" button and the MSI will enter into Maintenance mode (full UI).

In this case your custom dialog will be shown because you created it under the "Maintenance" dialog tree. Also, the user can click the "Modify" button to choose which features will be removed and which will remain.

A more complicated solution is to use a custom action under the "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Uninstall" standard action. This custom action will show your custom dialog and it will perform the operations you need.

You can read more about custom actions here:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... -page.html
My NullSoft installer can do all of these things and much more, but I am being forced to use msi by our customer.
This may be true, however this tool is not based on the Windows Installer technology which is becoming the "de facto" software installation technology on Windows. Also, with the release of Windows Vista some security issues appeared for installation packages which don't use the Windows Installer technology.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”