marcelo

Problem with Searches on Pre-requisites tab.

Hi there,

I'm adding a pre-requisite for VC++ 2005 Redist. so what I did is the following:

On the Software Pre-requisites page ive added an entry called Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

Setup File
URL - http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... st_x86.exe

The install conditions i set:
Product Version (By prod code) - {A49F249F-0C91-497F-86DF-B2585E8E76B7} (32bit release)
Product Version (By prod code) - {071c9b48-7c32-4621-a0ac-3f809523288f} (32Bit sp1 release)
Product Version (By prod code) - {7299052b-02a4-4627-81f2-1818da5d550d} (64bit Release)

I've also checked the option "Install if all of the above searches fail"

I build it and run.. but it never shows up the pre-requisite wizard for this, even if I dont have any of those prodIDs on my registry.

I'm assuming the key is looking for is in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Marcelo
Cosmin

Hi,

The approach you are using is the correct one. However, the prerequisite will not be installed if at least one of the searches fails. Therefore you should try this on a clean machine.
I'm assuming the key is looking for is in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products
No, the prerequisite will not check the registry, it will search the Product Code you entered. Note that the registry contains a packed GUID which is not the same as the Product Code of the package.

If the problem persists on clean machines, please send us the AIP you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
marcelo

Hi Cosmin,

I'm trying this on a clean virtual machine, so theres nothing installed but windows and office. not even Framework is installed on that machine. (another pre-requisite that works just fine).

I've sent you the AIP file, let me know if you find anything wrong.

Thanks,
Marcelo
Cosmin

Hi Marcelo,

The prerequisite is not installed because you unchecked all the "Launch Conditions" used by it.

By default, all the launch conditions regarding the supported operating systems are checked (this means that the prerequisites supports all Windows OS versions). If you uncheck all of them, then the prerequisite will not support any of the Windows OS versions.
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... tions.html

Also, I noticed that you manually edited the AIP. Note that this is not recommended and it will most likely corrupt it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
marcelo

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for the launch conditions tip, I didn't really understood what was that there for.
As for editing manually, I did in fact edit it manually, but I did it to remove some sensitive information from the AIP file just before sending to you, the real file doesn't have any manual editing.

Thanks,
Marcelo

Return to “Common Problems”