L4ngley

MSI package and GPO

Hi

I am using the Trail version of AI 6.2.
The MSI seems to be working fine when i try to run it manually.
All it does is install a new font.

But when i add it to a GPO i wont install. Right before the login screen is ready the there seems to be an installer notice.. like when when you deoply office. But it disapears in like 0,5 sec. But i guess it is my font MSI.

So here is the question. Why does it not work? Is it because of the trail warning you get when you run it manually?
The one who says "Installer information
This package was created with a trial version of Advanced Installer. You many use it for evaluation purpose only"

Do i have to buy AI to get it to work?

Cheers
Cosmin

Hi,

From what you are saying the MSI is deployed correctly through GPO. When it is deployed it is automatically installed silently and the trial message doesn't affect the installation.

How do you determine that the package is not installed? Is the font not installed correctly?

If this is the case please send us the AIP and the font you are installing to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
L4ngley

Thanx for the quick reply.

What I was trying to say, was that the MSI is NOT deployed through GPO.
First thing what made me thinkt that was the quick (0,5 sec) Managed install dialog. And the font is not installed either. But when i run the MSI manually and go threw the steps, including clicking OK on
"Installer information
This package was created with a trial version of Advanced Installer. You many use it for evaluation purpose only"
then the MSI works as intended. That is putting a font in fonts.

I have also sendt the AIP file.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please try deploying the package without the "Do not register the product with Windows Installer" option checked and let me know if the problem persists.

Regards,
Cosmin
L4ngley

Thanx

That worked, thanx, but (always a but, isnt there :) )

The reason I choos not to register with windows installer, is that i found it hard to install it over a second time. Say we need to doply antoher font in the package.

Then we first have to unintall the old "application"/removing the font, before we can install the new app/font.

What wil happen with it if i change the MSI, and add a new font, And deploy it once more over GPO, same name. Wil it try and repear?
Cosmin

Hi,

When you want to include new elements into the installation (new fonts for example), you can use the automated upgrade feature.

This feature works like this:
- you install a MSI on the target machine
- you open the AIP file you used to build it
- you increase it's version and update some of it's files
- you answer "Yes" when prompted about changing the Product Code
- when running the updated MSI on the target machine the old installation will be removed automatically and the updated package will be installed

Regards,
Cosmin
L4ngley

Great!

Great support on the fourms cosmin. Just awsome :)
ssearles

I've had trouble getting the GPO side of this equation to work... any pointers/insight I can pass to the IT folks that handle the GPO?
Cosmin

Hi,

You can read about how to deploy a MSI package through GPO here:
http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/w ... olicy.html

Regards,
Cosmin
ssearles

Oh the initial deployment isnt the problem... what happens is if I make the slightest change to the MSI, regardless of whether or not I update the version number to force an Upgrade, and replace the old(er) MSI with a new one on the network... all subsequent pushes fail. Even for brand new machines... they all simply fail out because the GPO can't find the version it thinks it needs.

for instance:
old MSI version - 1.0.0.1 - GPO is made to install this... everything works fine until I build:

new MSI version - 1.0.0.2 (which is not enough to force upgrade) - this entire GPO now fails, no future installations will occur for anyone (existing or new machines).

It seems the GPO hard-codes the versio number when it's built, and rejects any future MSI that aren't exactly that same package.

What I need/want to do is get to a point where if I have to update the MSI, that i can simply replace the old MSI and the next time any machine in that GPO is rebooted, they are automatically upgraded.

Any ideas how to work around this?
Cosmin

Hi,

You are encountering this behavior because you are not using the automated upgrade feature. I explained this feature in one of the above posts.

Also, please note that Windows Installer ignores the fourth field of the version:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370859.aspx

Therefore, if the first package has the version 1.0.0, the second package should have the version 1.0.1. This way, when you deploy the second version it will automatically upgrade the first one.

Regards,
Cosmin
ssearles

I/we tried that and the GPO is still failing on it... the automated upgrade works fine/perfectly if I fire it manually. ProductVersion for some reason is causing the GPO fits.

I'm convinced it's how that GPO is set, but the IT guy I'm dealing with is telling me he thinks its how the MSI is constructed... so we're at an impasse until I can figure it out.

Again, It's only when i try to use it from the GPO that it fails. :(
Cosmin

Hi,

I just checked with one of my colleagues and it seems that you must remove the first MSI package before deploying the second one. For some reason the automated upgrade feature is not supported by the GPO mechanism.

Regards,
Cosmin
ssearles

oh, not supported at all in GPO... that would explain it.

Does your colleague know if the MSI is replaced (in its network location) prior to trying to remove it from GPO if the GPO will still allow it?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. In order to accomplish what you need you can uninstall the old MSI (by using Group Policy) and then deploy the new one just like any other MSI package.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”