sramesh

Cannot uninstall

Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have a project that installs and registers a dll file. The install process will register the dll using the regasm command. I need to register this dll with options /regfile, /tlb and /codebase. Install works fine.
I the added the uninstall custom actions for this dll. One of the custom action for the uninstall is incorrect and hence I am unable to uninstall my app.

How do I force my app to uninstall ?

Thanks in advance.

kumarkiranc

Re: Cannot uninstall

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:03 am

Hi,

u can remove the application using regedit(actually this not a good way)

Ionut

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi,

You can remove the WI configuration information from the registry using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, and then manually delete the files and registry entries created by your package:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Additionally, to prevent this problem from appearing in the future, set the Execution Properties for the CA that is failing to "Synchronous execution, ignore return code".

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

sramesh

Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:34 pm

I used Smart Uninstall 2008 and it removed all the files but left the registry entries. I attempted removing the registry entries manually. But since I have more than one file and they were all registered using Windows Installer, there were traces left.

I could have used the registry cleanup utility. Thanks.

Luckyly I had a System restore point I could use and I ended up restoring my machine to a previous restore point and got my app to Install again.

I will change my Execution property of uninstall to ignore return code.

Thanks much.

Return to “Common Problems”