kumarkiranc

Problem with INI and Registry while running the patch

Hi,
I am using installer properties values to update the ini file and the registry. I created a patch for my application. I am running the patch to update the files .

The Problem is

The present ini entries are getting blank (which are provided by main installer properties values) but i want to retain the values.

One more problem is same thing happening with registry also. Registry entries are getting blank (which are provided by main installer properties values) .

Thanks in Advance
Kiran
Cosmin

Re: Problem with INI and Registry while running the patch

Hi,

This is because the properties are not set in the patch (a patch is the difference between two MSI packages). In order to avoid this behavior you can follow these steps:
- in the first installation write in the registry the values of the properties you need in the patch
- in the upgraded package, use the Search page to create multiple registry searches
- these searches will set the properties you need to the values in the registry

For example, if you need to use the property TEST in the patch, you write its value in the first installation package. In the upgraded package you create a search named TEST which retrieves the value of the TEST property from the registry. After these searches are created in the Upgraded package you must also duplicate them in the original package (both packages will contain the same searches for setting the properties).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”