Borek

PackageCode {} is not unique

I am trying to explore patch making and Advanced Installer displays "PackageCode {2DDE0514-5F06-4FAF-9433-8A888B2014AE} is not unique." error from msimsp.exe. I have searched the forum in hope for a solution - and someone proposed to rebuild packages to be sure PackageCodes are different. I did it - no changes, same error. I have checked both MSI (old and new) with Orca - and they have both different PackageCode that the one displayed as not unique, displayed one was present in some earlier MSI build.

Any ideas?
F
Borek

Re: PackageCode {} is not unique

I have found something - problem disappeared when I have deleted images directory from the Advanced installer document dir. That forced Advanced Installer to unpack cabs and recreate images. Looks like a bug to me - I think Advanced Installer should check if the PackageCode of image is different from that of msi and rebuild image if necessary. Or is there some reason for not doing that?
F
Cosmin

Re: PackageCode {} is not unique

Hi,

The "images" folder created when a patch is built is actually a cache used to detect the differences between the target and upgraded images. Also, this folder is refreshed only when you refresh the images in your patch project. If an image has been changed (for example you change it's package code) and you refresh it, the "images" folder will be updated.

Note that you can refresh a patch image by using the "Refresh" button on the toolbar of the patch project (it is shown when you select an image in the "Images" page).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”