Atlas

File assocation trouble

I'm having the following issue with my installer on an XP SP2 machine:

I log in as admin, download the installer to my desktop, and install the app. The file associations correctly install and double clicking my file type will cause my app to open automatically.

I then switch to a limited user account. The application appears correctly installed and I can run the application. My file type also appears to be correctly associated, since it has my custom icon on files of that type. The trouble begins when I try double-clicking one of my file types in the Limited account. Instead of opening my app, it pops up a dialog saying "Please wait while Windows configures [my app]." It then pops up a window with title "Select the installation package for [my app]." The default selected file name in the dialog points to the installation package on the admin desktop, which the limited user doesn't have access to. How can I get it so an admin can install my app from his desktop, and then limited users of the machine can double-click my files without needing access to the installer?

Thank you very much!
Cosmin

Re: File assocation trouble

Hi,

You are encountering this behavior because Windows Installer triggers a repair for your package. Basically, here is what happens:
- you install the package on an account
- you log on another account (it doesn't matter what type)
- when you open the installed application, Windows Installer verifies if the application is intact (none of its resources are missing)
- if resources are missing (files or registry entries), Windows Installer launches a repair for the installation package of the application
- if it cannot find the original installation package (needed for a repair), it will prompt the user for it
How can I get it so an admin can install my app from his desktop, and then limited users of the machine can double-click my files without needing access to the installer?
For this you need to make sure that your installation package meets these rules:
- it is a per-machine installation
- it installs resources only in per-machine locations (for example, it doesn't install resources on the desktop, in My Documents, Application Data etc.)
- the registry entries used by the application are created under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, not under HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Atlas

Cosmin, you're awesome. Very few companies take the time to give such helpful answers.
Atlas

Cosmin, I'm still having trouble with this. I changed the installer to force it to be per-machine, and I got rid of the option to add a Quick Launch Icon since I noticed that that goes into the Application Data folder (was that necessary?), but still I have the problem described above. The only thing that goes into the Desktop is a regular app launch shortcut, but since it installs correctly for all users, this shouldn't trigger the installer to think anything is missing.

Is there something else I should be looking at as the cause of this? Or maybe if I emailed to you the installer you could tell me what silly thing I'm doing?

Thanks again!
Cosmin

Hi,

Most likely the package installs files in per-user locations. Please send us the AIP you use to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.
I got rid of the option to add a Quick Launch Icon since I noticed that that goes into the Application Data folder (was that necessary?)
The Quick Launch shortcut is always installed for the current user (not for all users). Therefore, it is installed in a per-user location (not recommended for a per-machine installation).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”