froesccn

One version, multiple media

I'm currently evaluating Advanced Installer and it looks very fine! However, I just
encountered the first major hurdle: If an existing installation was installed from
medium A, then the setup from the medium B complains that a different
product version is installed. I had expected at least to be able to install
new features included in medium B but not installed on the system.

The use case is that our product is offered both as web download and on CD/DVD,
where the download installer doesn't include some non-critical features (e.g., large
sample images). We'd like to be able to insert the CD on a system where the product
has been installed from a download version and install the additional components.

Furthermore, it would also be feasible to partially repair an installation
as far as included in medium B (the really important parts are contained
in all media, of course), and to offer uninstall options for existing
features regardless of whether they are included in medium B.
Cosmin

Re: One version, multiple media

Hi,

There is a similar discussion on the forum, please take a look:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=7425

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
froesccn

cosmin wrote:There is a similar discussion on the forum, please take a look
Thanks, I tried hacking the output MSI's with Orca to get builds with the same
package code. This works insofar as the installations now recognize each other,
but not in a very useful way. First of all, an error is encountered if the name of
the MSI files differ (at some point it starts looking for the old MSI), and second,
the component database always seems to be taken from the existing installation,
i.e., "Modify" does not allow to install an additional features unknown to the
original installation, and even worse, it offers to install features known to
the original installation but not contained in the active installer (unhealthy).

Not happy. But I suppose this is a limitation of Windows Installer itself.
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that the correct approach is to use the automated upgrade feature. With this approach, the download version will be automatically uninstalled and the CD version will be installed. However, you will not be able to repair or modify the old installation with the new one.
an error is encountered if the name of
the MSI files differ (at some point it starts looking for the old MSI)
This is because Windows Installer sees the two versions of the MSI as two copies of the same installation package. If you install package A, then a repair can be triggered only by package A (you cannot use a renamed copy of package A).
the component database always seems to be taken from the existing installation,
Since the two packages are seen as two copies of the same installation package, Windows Installer will run the installed package (not the one which triggers the repair). Please note that the forum post in the link stated that we do not recommend or encourage the approach. Also, what you need is not supported by the Windows Installer technology.

Regards,
Cosmin
froesccn

cosmin wrote:Also, what you need is not supported by the Windows Installer technology.
Thanks, I feared as much. Otherwise, great product!

Completely unrelated, here are some minor issues and suggestions after evaluation:
  • If a short-cut is assigned to multiple features, it will be removed after uninstalling on of these features.
  • Custom actions calling external EXE should have an option to return the error level in a variable instead of treating > 0 as fail.
  • It would be convenient to have source directories based on variables.
  • It would be convenient to have checkboxes to enable/disable media for test builds
Cosmin

Hi,
If a short-cut is assigned to multiple features, it will be removed after uninstalling on of these features.
I cannot reproduce this behavior on my test machine. What type of shortcut are you using? Can you please send us a small test case which shows this problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?
Custom actions calling external EXE should have an option to return the error level in a variable instead of treating > 0 as fail.
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer. The return values of a custom action is interpreted automatically by Windows Installer and it cannot be retrieved.
It would be convenient to have source directories based on variables.
Please note that this can be done by using property-based folders.
It would be convenient to have checkboxes to enable/disable media for test builds
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Can you please give me more details about this?

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”