sashasch

Set of Problems

Hi to all!
First, I have some problem with writing to SQL during repairing. I have simple config.xml that looks like this:

Code: Select all

<Properties>
    <Property name="" num="1">
    </Property>
    <Property name="" num="2">
    </Property>
     <Property name="" num="10">
    </Property>
</Properties>
Where name attributes are binded to some set of properties [PROP_NAME_1] ,..., [PROP_NAME_10] . During installation all works fine, the problem is repairing:
I added some dialogs and custom actions to the Maintenance that provide parsing of xml , then I want to change some data and write it back to xml, but where I change, for example, the name of first property ([PROP_NAME_1]) and finalise the repairing its doesn't changes the first property, but adds the 11-th property
,equals to changed 1-th, to the end of xml. Not even one element of xml have "Add as a new sibling" option activated. It seams to me that is is some bug.

Second, have I any option to modify set of ODBC DataSources during Maintenance??? I have prepared set (pool) of 10 DataSources and used during installation process some part of them (subpool), is it possible to Activate unactive datasoures from pool or deactivate/modify datasources from subpool during Maintenance???

Third, sometimes I want to make backup to my project, just by saving the project.aip, project-cash folder and another related files to some storage (CD, Server, and other) but after I have moved some of my dialogs to the repository, the project doesn't opens from another location, I have tried to remove those
dialogs from repository, by making new dialogs with different names copying all relevant fields from the repositoried dialogs to new dialogs, and removing old
dialogs from repository. But AI doesn't removes it because it "used" ?! Can you help me with it, how can I make buckup correct?

Forth, AI creates some WinService from my java project, and it runs on our mashines (notebooks). Sometimes we finds this service stopped without any visible reason. I have attached time logs of starting/stopping but still have no idea why it perhaps???

Thanks for your previous answers!
Cosmin

Re: Set of Problems

Hi,
where I change, for example, the name of first property ([PROP_NAME_1]) and finalise the repairing its doesn't changes the first property, but adds the 11-th property
,equals to changed 1-th, to the end of xml.
I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP with the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Are you using the XML editor or a custom action for your XML file?
is it possible to Activate unactive datasoures from pool or deactivate/modify datasources from subpool during Maintenance???
This can be done by using a feature for each data source in the Organization page. When the installation package will enter Maintenance mode, the user can click on the "Modify" button in order to change which data sources will be installed or uninstalled.
Can you help me with it, how can I make buckup correct?
In order to create a backup of your project you can follow these steps:
- open the project and use the "Project" -> "Options" menu
- in the Edit Project Settings dialog select the "All paths are absolute" option
- save and close the project
- backup the AIP file
- go to the "Repository" folder (usually "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Repository") and backup the folders of the dialogs used by your AIP

When restoring a backup project, you can follow these steps:
- restore the AIP file
- restore the folders in the Repository

If your project uses relative paths (the default option), when you restore a backup most likely it will not find the original paths.
Sometimes we finds this service stopped without any visible reason.
I'm not sure why this happens, but most likely the service has a bug in its code. The possible causes may be:
- a counter variable which is incremented until it is re-initialized to zero
- the Java Virtual Machine runs out of memory, making the service stop

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”