nruzic

Driver installation problem

Hy!

Among other things I want to install drivers for usb device (2D bar-code scanner) in my installation procedure.
In drivers page I select add driver task and selected appropriate inf file (mtlgpos2nt.inf).

When I start installation procedure driver files (INF, SYS and DLL) are copied into folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\mtlgpos2nt_14D5EBDC5A0C222A4FD0EFBC156A0A5E3F9341B6
There are corresponding entries in registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFx\DriverStore\mtlgpos2nt_14D5EBDC5A0C222A4FD0EFBC156A0A5E3F9341B6\DependentInstaller with value {A369A311-2C2C-49DA-8887-88089442625B}
and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DIFxApp\Components\{A369A311-2C2C-49DA-8887-88089442625B}\DriverStore with value C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\mtlgpos2nt_14D5EBDC5A0C222A4FD0EFBC156A0A5E3F9341B6\mtlgpos2nt.inf

But when I plug in usb device (2D bar-code scanner) "found new hardware" wizard pops up asking me for the location of appropriate drivers.
Why don't windows automatically find drivers in C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\mtlgpos2nt_14D5EBDC5A0C222A4FD0EFBC156A0A5E3F9341B6 folder?
Drivers are not signed, is this problem?

Another thing, when I install drivers with "found new hardware" wizard driver files are copied in C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder (DLL file) and C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder (SYS file) which is defined in INF file.
Why doesn't Advanced Installer installation procedure do that?

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Cosmin

Re: Driver installation problem

Hi,

Please note that Advanced Installer uses Windows Driver Install Frameworks (DIFx) version 2.1 to install the drivers. Also, this framework is designed for installing Software First Install drivers. These are the drivers that come with your application (e.g. an antivirus filter for the network adapter). It is not recommended to use it for installing Hardware First Install drivers (e.g. a driver for an USB device).

Most likely the INF file you are using is not designed for DIFx 2.1. If this is the case, you need to configure it for DIFx in order to install it with Advanced Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
nruzic

Thanks for your reply,

I configured my driver package to use DPInst.exe from Driver Package Installer toll available in DIFx framework.
Installation of drivers now works fine but "Found new Hardware wizard" still pops up when I plug in my usb device.
But now at least I can tell to wizard to chose most appropriate drivers automatically (install the software automatically option in wizard).
This is acceptable behavior but it would be nice if windows would automatically select drivers from there "database" with out popping out wizard so that user doesn't need to bothered with any installation procedure.

I suppose problem lies in drivers which are not signed.

Any ideas?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior because you are using an external tool to install the driver, not the Windows Installer support. Did you modify your driver in order to support DIFx?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”