Ian Hinson

Advanced Installer upgrade problem

Hi,

After upgrading Advanced Installer, eg from 6.3.1 to 6.4, on the next "Build Project" the following message appears in the Log window.

[ DefaultBuild ]
Building package (en): C:\Program Files\Kids Wizz\kidswizz.msi
Creating CAB file(s)... done.
Creating MSI database... error.
Exception - Reason: File [C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 6.3.1\resources\uninstall.ico] could not be read.

Build finished because an error was encountered.

I understand the error message is logical and correct since the old resource folder no longer exists after upgrading to a new version. So the .aip project needs to be altered to point to the new location of the icon.
But this is a small inconvenience that has to be done every time there's an upgrade.

Could you possibly put the resources folder into a location that doesn't change from one version to another?

Thanks,
Ian Hinson.
Cosmin

Re: Advanced Installer upgrade problem

Hi,

I can reproduce this behavior on my test machine only if I use a hard-coded path which points to the ICO file in the "Advanced Installer 6.3.1" folder. If this is the approach you used, please note that the Advanced Installer upgrade will not convert the hard-coded paths in your project. Also, for a shortcut to Uninstall Advanced Installer uses a variable for the path: <AI_RES>uninstall.ico. This variable is resolved to the "resource" folder of the current Advanced Installer version.
Could you possibly put the resources folder into a location that doesn't change from one version to another?
Please note that beginning with the 6.4 version of Advanced Installer you can use Path Variables for the paths in your project. This way, you would modify only the path variables, not the hard-coded paths.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”