heilong05

Compression Question

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:26 am

Hi:
I am a chinese degineer in a chinese computer corporation. Recently . We've recently come across a problem which The filesize of the exe package haven't compress .it's is equal original files.
To reproduce:
1.Create a default Enterprise project with AI 6.4 (in my case project language was set to Chinese(simple))
2.Configure it to add any file to Application Directory
3 .Creating some shortcuts using a wizard
4.Prerequisite software (.Net FrameWork 2.0)
5.configure various options for a prerequisite.(enable LZMA Compression for myprerequisite files)
6. In Media Settings Tab (select the Best compression level for the LZMA archive)
7.Make sure that in Bootstrapper tab Create EXE setup file and Include install files in EXE are selected and that Extract

Effect: the filesize of the exe package is equal original files ..

I was wondering whether it would be possible for you to fix this issue in releases to come? This would make installers a lot nicer. please help me further

regards

heilong05
My aviable MSN:heilong05@hotmail.com
Last edited by heilong05 on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

heilong05

Re: Compression Question

Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks

Cosmin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:14 am

Hi,

Please note that the installation package for .NET Framework is already packed and archived (you cannot pack it again in order to obtain a smaller size). Therefore, if you included in your package it will have the same size (it cannot be compressed more than it already is).

However, the files in your project will be compressed. Depending on the type of the files and the information in them, the resulted size will be smaller or a lot smaller. Note that the final package will also contain all your project configurations, therefore its size will be affected by the components of the project (custom actions, SQL scripts etc.)

Note that you can obtain a smaller installation package by using an URL for the location of the prerequisite. This way, when the package needs to install the prerequisite, it will be downloaded automatically from the URL you specified.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

heilong05

Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:27 am

First of all thank you for your answer.
My files only include some *.cfg , *.dll ,*.exe. Certainly. dotnetfx.exe included.....
custom actions, SQL scripts etc. never setting in package process.
and i don't want that my customs will use an URL for the location of the prerequisite. it's very bother.
do you have other ways to solve my question?

otherwise . please you will send some tutorials to me ...my email:heilong05@hotmail.com
Thanks...

Cosmin

Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:42 am

Hi,
do you have other ways to solve my question?
I'm afraid that there is no other way of obtaining a smaller size for the package.
please you will send some tutorials to me
Please note that the User Guide contains multiple tutorials and how-to's which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”