narramadan

Help with Windows Services

Hi All,

I am very much excited to see a good installer and think it would be useful for my needs.

I started like adding the files which i need them to get installed in the target machine. I ran the test and it worked great.

But was struck where to go next for the process i had to do...

I need some suggestions/examples to get this done as its my first day with Adv Installer...

I need to add windows services to start and stop the application in the target machine...

I basically written batch files start.bat & stop.bat , which is used to start multiple services like Setting Java Classpath, Start Web Server, Start Database.

I would like to register these bat files in wndows services and in start menu..

These should be started Automatically when the System Boots each time.....

Thanks for your help in advance..

Madan N
Cosmin

Re: Help with Windows Services

Hi Madan,

Please note that Advanced Installer offers support for installing services through the Services page. Also, the User Guide contains a tutorial which explains this feature.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
narramadan

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for the Quick Response,

I tried the services page as specified to configure the Tomcat and MySql exe files.

But am getting an alert message saying " Service MySql (mysql.exe) could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to install system services ", and the same when configuring tomcat5.exe.

I ran the test installation from the user who is having Administrative rights.

I would apologizes as am purely Java Developer and have no idea about windows Services.

The installer would install the binaries for "Java, MySql and Tomcat " and set JAVA_HOME and than start mysql and Tomcat Services.

Please guide me how can i do the above steps...

Thanks,
Madan N
pavantumu

Hi,

Even I have a similar feature requirement. I wanna make an entry for starting tomcat and mysql in windows services, so that they start automatically on windows startup. Unfortunately I faced similar issues and wasn't able to implement that feature.

If you guys can provide any pointers that would be great great!

Thanks for your time
Pavan
Cosmin

Hi,

Are you installing the service under the local system account or for a custom user? Note that if you are installing the service for a custom user you need to follow some specific steps. This is explained in the Install a service for a custom user how-to.

Basically, you need to make sure that the user which runs the package has enough privileges to install and start system services (being an Administrator is not enough). If the problem persists even when setting the correct policies, please send us the AIP to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”