ags2886

Silent Install with Serial Number Validation

Hi,
I have a problem with running installer silently (/qn or /qb). When I run it as a normal installer using UI and put in some values for serial validation (COMPANYNAME and PIDKEY properties), our serial validation DLL validates these values without problem. If I supply the same values for these properties using command line along with other properties, e.g. [code]msiexec /I "Client86Setup.msi" /qb COMPANYNAME="maine" USERNAME="EMU" PIDKEY="9gn02ESSIVmaine" APPDIR="c:\ABC\ABC Pro Workstation 8.6" REP_PATH="C:\ABCTEST\REPOSITORY89\" DATA_PATH="C:\ABCTEST\TEST89\"[/code] installer shows me a screen with "Invalid serial number" message.
Install log shows that command line sets all the properties correctly, but installer generates error for validation:
[quote]Action start 11:39:14: ValidateProductID.
MSI (s) (14:80) [11:39:14:386]: Skipping action: AI_VALID_SERIAL (condition is false)
MSI (s) (14:80) [11:39:14:386]: Doing action: AI_EXIT_ACTION
Action ended 11:39:14: ValidateProductID. Return value 1.
Action start 11:39:14: AI_EXIT_ACTION.
MSI (s) (14:80) [11:39:24:411]: Product: ABC Pro Workstation 8.6 -- Invalid serial number.

MSI (c) (08:FC) [11:39:14:407]: Font created. Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

Invalid serial number.[/quote]
Please, help.

Thanks,
Andrei
Cosmin

Re: Silent Install with Serial Number Validation

Hi Andrei,

I cannot reproduce this behavior on my test machines. Can you please send us the complete log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Note that the log should be created with the /L*V options.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Cosmin

Re: Silent Install with Serial Number Validation

Hi Andrei,

I noticed in the log that the template for the serial number contains 39 "?" characters. Since your serial number contains only 15 characters, it will not match with the template.

Note that this works when using the UI because of the masked edit control. When the serial is entered the masked edit will automatically add blank spaces until the length of the serial is the same as the length of the template.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”