robbiehanson

Auto register file vs Assemblies

What is the difference between "Auto register file" (in Files and Folders -> File properties) and "Assemblies"?

Perhaps it would help to explain why I ask. I'm a bit new to installing software on Windows. (But have a lot of experience on Mac and Linux.) I'm trying to install a C# application that P/Invoke's methods in the OpenSSL library via the libeay32.dll that is included in the application folder. Some users (on XP) are getting error messages: "unable to load libeay32.dll". I don't understand why. I was under the impression that the application would search first within the application directory for dll's. So I decided that maybe the dll needs to be registered or something... Am I wrong about this? If I set the libeay32.dll file to auto register, Advanced Installer gives me the following error message: "The selected file could not be registered." I can add it as an assembly just fine. But I've been unable to reproduce the problem on any of the computers at my disposal, so I've had a difficult time testing and fixing this problem. Any advice on this "dll hell" would be welcome.
Cosmin

Re: Auto register file vs Assemblies

Hi,
What is the difference between "Auto register file" (in Files and Folders -> File properties) and "Assemblies"?
The difference is given by the purpose of the file: a file which can be registered or a file which is (or is a part of) an assembly. Please note that the purpose of a file should be known by the developer which uses it. If you have files and you don't know if they need to be registered or they need to be installed as assemblies, please contact the person or company that created the files.
Some users (on XP) are getting error messages: "unable to load libeay32.dll". I don't understand why.
From what I read it seems that "libeay32.dll" is just a DLL which contains some functions. Therefore, most likely it is not an assembly and it doesn't need registration.
I was under the impression that the application would search first within the application directory for dll's.
This depends on what it written in your application.

I'm not sure why the users are encountering this problem and since you cannot reproduce it, I'm not sure how to investigate it. Also, this seems to be an application problem caused by the environment in which it is launched (perhaps it cannot access some resources or it cannot find them).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”