MarcT

Run program from CD?

I am trying to figure out how to run an exe file directly from CD without installing it to the user's computer at all. I'm using "Advanced CAB Layout", and have set my exe file to "Store Outside on Volume", but I can't find any AI property that gives me the path to the installation drive so I can use it in a Custom Action. I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere.

Right now, my workaround is to install that exe to the temp directory and run it from there with a Custom Action, but that seems like a waste when the file is right there on the CD ready to run.
Cosmin

Re: Run program from CD?

Hi,

The path of the folder which contains the package is stored in the "SOURCEDIR" (for MSI packages) or "SETUPEXEDIR" property. Both properties can be used by custom actions to launch files next to the installation package.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
canhuth

Re: Run program from CD?

MarcT wrote:I am trying to figure out how to run an exe file directly from CD without installing it to the user's computer at all. I'm using "Advanced CAB Layout", and have set my exe file to "Store Outside on Volume", but I can't find any AI property that gives me the path to the installation drive so I can use it in a Custom Action. I'm sure I'm just missing it somewhere.

Right now, my workaround is to install that exe to the temp directory and run it from there with a Custom Action, but that seems like a waste when the file is right there on the CD ready to run.
Hi MarcT,

not knowing about advanced CAB layout I wonder if you could just have the program in a separate folder where it can be run from directly, and a normal, non-advanced installer somewhere else on the CD.

Your installer could still ask the user wether to run the program from that other folder on CD (if that is the intention).

What do you gain by making the installer use "separate"/"external" files to compose the installation of? Is the gain in disk/CD space? If so, how much do you gain? Is it worth the additional complexity cost (maintenance etc.)?

With best regards

Clemens Anhuth

Return to “Common Problems”