enigma

How to set Different Prerequisites depending on platform

Hi,

Some of the prerequisites I have have different installers, depending on platform. How should I set in my pre requisites settings so that in 32 bit, I can point to A installer and in 64 bit, I can point to B installer?
Cosmin

Re: How to set Different Prerequisites depending on platform

Hi,

Please note that in the Install Conditions tab of the "Edit Prerequisite" dialog you can set the OS versions supported by the prerequisite. If a prerequisite has only the "Windows NT 64-bit from" option checked, it will be shown only if the package runs on a 64-bit system.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
enigma

cosmin wrote:Hi,

Please note that in the Install Conditions tab of the "Edit Prerequisite" dialog you can set the OS versions supported by the prerequisite. If a prerequisite has only the "Windows NT 64-bit from" option checked, it will be shown only if the package runs on a 64-bit system.

Regards,
Cosmin
Thanks cosmin, that I think you still have to untick the Windows NT 64 bit in the Install Condition tab ( for 32 bit) and untick the Windows NT from in the same tab ( for 64 bit), right?

Why not just present a single option? Either you let us choose whether it is 64 bit, or let us choose the platform?
Cosmin

Hi,
I think you still have to untick the Windows NT 64 bit in the Install Condition tab ( for 32 bit)
Yes, this should be done for the 32-bit prerequisites in order to hide them on a 64-bit system.
Why not just present a single option? Either you let us choose whether it is 64 bit, or let us choose the platform?
Please note that all 32-bit installation packages work on a 64-bit system. Therefore, marking a prerequisite as 32-bit would still install it on a 64-bit system. Also, the functionality you mentioned is already implemented through the supported OS versions combo boxes.

Regards,
Cosmin
NSentinel

Hi,

is there any way to distinct prerequisites in same platform model (i.e. 32-bit). For example, Windows Installer 4.5 has 3 different packages fo XP/2003/ (Vista/2008), Windows PowerShell has 2 different packages for XP/2003 and so on.

What is the best way to do this? I setup platform as usually but on Windows 2003 setup tries to install both packages for Windows XP and Windows 2003.

Give me right direction please.
Cosmin

Hi,

For the prerequisites dependent on the Windows version you can try using an extra detection criteria. For example, you can use this registry value:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\CurrentBuildNumber
You can see the possible values of this registry entry in the Operating System Property Values article from MSDN.

Regards,
Cosmin
Frode

Hm,

I thought this prereq's was evaluated and installed in sequence, eg. if you set Vista first, 2003 second and XP last, and all three checked the same condition (fileversion of msi.dll), only the appropriate one would be installed?
If not, someone is going to bite me :?

Are all prereq's performed in parallell? Doing full SQL express install would then be a nightmare (.NET 3.5, MSI 4.5 and SQL _concurently_ !)

Please tell me this is not the case...

-frode
NSentinel

Frode wrote: I thought this prereq's was evaluated and installed in sequence, eg. if you set Vista first, 2003 second and XP last, and all three checked the same condition (fileversion of msi.dll), only the appropriate one would be installed?
If not, someone is going to bite me :?
They evaluated one by one as I can notice, so sometimes enough to set correct order for platforms if all prerequisites check the same and installation on Windows XP automatically counts as installation on Windows 2003. But there are can be some exclusion from this rule if detection mechanism on Windows XP and Windows 2003 (for example) will be different, i.e. installation on Windows XP does'nt detect as installation on Windows 2003, so after installing first prereq automatically started another for Win2003.

Thats why I ask in my post about additional check.

Hope this helps. BTW, I also install SQL Express 2008.
Frode

NSentinel wrote: BTW, I also install SQL Express 2008.
As an URL download? Have you solved the ConfigurationFile.ini problem?

-frode
Frode

cosmin wrote: the functionality you mentioned is already implemented through the supported OS versions combo boxes.
Those should have been implemented as multiple choice lists, as there is equal needs for excluding as including OS versions. I also think you are missing the IA64 architecture.

-frode
Cosmin

Hi,
Those should have been implemented as multiple choice lists, as there is equal needs for excluding as including OS versions.
This improvement is already on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer.
I also think you are missing the IA64 architecture.
Unfortunately the bootstrapper doesn't support the IA64 architecture, therefore it cannot use IA64 prerequisites.

Regards,
Cosmin
NSentinel

Frode wrote:
NSentinel wrote: BTW, I also install SQL Express 2008.
As an URL download? Have you solved the ConfigurationFile.ini problem?

-frode
As integrated package for redist on CD/DVD. Still experimenting... But I want in the future prepare compact setup with SQL Express integrated via URL download.

Return to “Common Problems”