mctozzy

JDBC Support

I'm unclear as to whether AI supports the use of jdbc drivers for executing database scripts at install time.

If not, this would be something of a deficiency for a product that is supposed to support java applications?

Thanks,

MT
gigi

Re: JDBC Support

Hi,

Sorry but we don't offer support for JDBC drivers, only native ODBC drivers are supported.

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
mctozzy

OK then, is there a way to execute an "install-time" java application as a shell script?
canhuth

mctozzy wrote:OK then, is there a way to execute an "install-time" java application as a shell script?
You can use custom actions. They can be used to run external programs or scripts (JScript, VBScript; which in turn can execute external programs).

JScript example:

Code: Select all

var shell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");

// Note that the path to the executable is quoted inside the
// string literal! (Otherwise, if the path contains space
// characters, an error occurs.)
var exec = "\"Path\to\executable\" parameters for executable";

shell.Run(exec, 0, true);
Also see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx

With best regards

Clemens Anhuth
canhuth

mctozzy wrote:OK then, is there a way to execute an "install-time" java application as a shell script?
Also keep in mind that your application can possibly perform these steps, too.

With best regards

Clemens Anhuth
mctozzy

Thanks... a key question though is whether it is possible to process a result code back from the external java program...so that the install can be aborted and rolled back if something goes wrong. I presume this would be possible?

Also, how does the installer run such a program, if that program is itself delivered through the installer? I suppose that depends upon the sequence of exactly when the script is run.

Re doing this things from the application itself - yes I agree that would be possible, but not at all desirable in the scenarios I am considering.
canhuth

mctozzy wrote:Thanks... a key question though is whether it is possible to process a result code back from the external java program...so that the install can be aborted and rolled back if something goes wrong. I presume this would be possible?

Also, how does the installer run such a program, if that program is itself delivered through the installer? I suppose that depends upon the sequence of exactly when the script is run.

Re doing this things from the application itself - yes I agree that would be possible, but not at all desirable in the scenarios I am considering.
This might be of interest to you:

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=7782

(AI sits on top of Windows Installer, so solutions for Windows Installer usually can be applied to AI based installers too.)

Return to “Common Problems”