Nico-D

[services] - Not able to start a service

Hello,

I am trying to install a service based on XYNTService. XYNTService is a kind of wrapper to your binary: you do not want to construct your service yourself, just launch XYNTService with a link to your binary in its INI file, and that's it.

The standalone procedure to install XYNTService is to create a XYNTService.ini file, and run ot from the cmd:

Code: Select all

%> XYNTService.exe -i
This procedure creates an entry in the Service Manager and it is possible to start/stop/restart this service. You are able to launch the service using the Computer Management > Service menu.

The problem is, if I am defining this as a service in AI, there is no way to make the service start at any time -even after install, by using the command line-. It died with an error 1063 (internal XYNTService StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed).

Then, I am using simple CA instead of defining Services through AI. That is working perfectly. But do you see any reason that it does not work? I do not understand, as many (all?) Windows services are also presenting a -i (or /i) own service registration option. If you think this is only due to the open source XYNTService, please do not consider this message.

Regards,
-- Nicolas D.
Cosmin

Re: [services] - Not able to start a service

Hi,

Advanced Installer uses the ServiceInstall table to specify the service you want to install. Therefore, Windows Installer will use the CreateService function to create the service. Since the service cannot be started after it is installed, perhaps it is not created correctly. Please note that Windows Installer supports only native Windows services. A regular EXE which uses other tools to become a service may not work correctly when installed with Windows Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Nico-D

Re: [services] - Not able to start a service

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for your answer. I am not an expert on Windows Services, but what you explain seems a good approach. Nevertheless, AI is such a great tool that this also is very simple to define CAs that correctly register and launch my (wrapped) services. :)

For information, I am using "EXE with Working Dir" CAs in the Install and Uninstall standard actions.

Regards,
-- Nicolas D.

Return to “Common Problems”