Robbie

Building unsaved project

Building an un-saved project results in a different product package then the model in memory.
This can probably be regarded as a user error, but it is rather annoying to build a 100Mb package, transferring it it a test machine and finding that things don't seem to go as intended.
It would be nice if AdvancedInstaller would at least give a warning about the un-saved project, if it does not build the in-memory model. Or an auto save option. (Sorry if there already is one, but I have not found it).
Cosmin

Re: Building unsaved project

Hi,
Building an un-saved project results in a different product package then the model in memory.
Please note that the project is saved automatically when it is built. This behavior is normal and it cannot be changed through an option. Note that if the project was not saved at build time, data loss may have been encountered (the changes that were not saved wouldn't have been included in the package).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Robbie

Hi
I am sorry, but your reply is confusing me.
Please note that the project is saved automatically when it is built. This behavior is normal and it cannot be changed through an option.
This is great and is the best manner of operation in my view.
Note that if the project was not saved at build time, data loss may have been encountered (the changes that were not saved wouldn't have been included in the package).
Unfortunately it is the second part of your statement that I am experiencing.

How is it possible to experience data loss, due to not saving the project, if the project should have been saved automatically at build time (as per the first quote).

1. I changed my project and built it without saving.
2. After installing it appeared that my changes had NOT been saved.
3. On my development machine the AI project is still up.
4. Click the Save button.
5. Rebuild the project.
6. Installation now OK.

This shows that automatic save , as per first quote, has not been performed, and should therefor be regarded as a bug.
Cosmin

Hi,
1. I changed my project and built it without saving.
2. After installing it appeared that my changes had NOT been saved.
I am unable to reproduce this behavior on my test machine. Can you please send us a small test case which shows this problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Please note that building the project also refreshes the synchronization. Does your project use synchronization for any of its folders? Also, can you please give me more details about the change you performed and was not saved?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Robbie

In my case I had added 4 shortcuts in the [APPDIR] location, which were unsaved during the build. So it was quite visible, when they were missing after the installation.
However, I have since upgraded to AI 6.5.2 and have been unable to re-produce the problem.

Return to “Common Problems”