nilesh_bahirshet

Patch Version Problems..

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:43 am

I have succsessfully created the patch and it also works properly on clients machine..

but I have already posted that
1) after patching on the clients machine ther version remains same..
(for upadte in "Installation detection" I have select the "size" for updates does it matters ?)

2)My application is devloped in VS 2005 ,In my first .msi file (in .aip project .msi has version 1.0.0) but after installing on clients machine the .exe of my application shows the version 1.0.0.0 .. is this right thing. ...?

3) While updaing I have select the .exe file for patch and whever I select the version in installation detection,after selecting modified .exe for patch
It shows the version 1.0.1.0 ... why it comes like this ? ( It should be 1.0.0.1 ,beacuse the version of application which installed on clients machines is 1.0.0.0)
is that right ?

4) Which file shoud I put on server for updates of patch .msp file or .exe file ?
( when to put .msp file and when to put .exe for patch )

5) As I mentioned eariler I have sucsessfully created the patch and it also downloads on clients machine,
but if user check for update the sevral time, each time the patch is downloaded on clients machine ..
how to prevent that ?
( this problem I have post already, but I dont understand that solutuion, please explain briefly ...)

6) for first patch I select the .msi_1 as old version and .msi2 for new version of msi, then patch is created, we will called as .msp1
now for second patch, in patch project I select .msi3 as new version msi, but what should I select for old version .msi1 or .msi2 ?

7) as I have place the patch file on server, for next patch should I repalce it by new .msp file ?
and suppose some users nerver check for first update and I put the secont patch file on server for update
how will they get both patches ?( as we replace the old .msp file with new .msp file )

Cosmin

Re: Patch Version Problems..

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:02 am

Hi,
after patching on the clients machine ther version remains same..
Can you please give me more details about what version you are referring to? The version of the Windows Installer product or the version of the main EXE of your application?
for upadte in "Installation detection" I have select the "size" for updates does it matters ?
No, this does not affect the files installed by the update.
In my first .msi file (in .aip project .msi has version 1.0.0) but after installing on clients machine the .exe of my application shows the version 1.0.0.0 .. is this right thing. ...?
Please note that the version of the installation package and the version of the EXE of your application are completely different and unrelated. The version of the package is set in the Advanced Installer project and it helps Windows Installer identify the installation package. The version of the main EXE of your application is set in your Visual Studio project and it helps you know the version of your application.

Please note that the version or size of the main EXE of the application can be used as a detection criteria for an update.
whever I select the version in installation detection,after selecting modified .exe for patch It shows the version 1.0.1.0 ... why it comes like this ?
Most likely the version of the main EXE of your application is 1.0.1.0.
It should be 1.0.0.1 ,beacuse the version of application which installed on clients machines is 1.0.0.0
Please note that the versions you are using are the one you set in your projects (they are not set automatically).
Which file shoud I put on server for updates of patch .msp file or .exe file ?
On your server you should place the patch file.
if user check for update the sevral time, each time the patch is downloaded on clients machine ..
how to prevent that ?
The patch is downloaded every time because the detection criteria of the update is not correct. Here is an example scenario:
- your application uses only one file named "MyApp.exe" and this file has the version 2.0.0
- you create a package for it and you set the version of the package to 1.0.0
- this package is installed on the user's machine
- you modify the application and the version of "MyApp.exe" is changed to 2.0.1
- you increase the version of the package to 1.0.1 and include the 2.0.1 version of "MyApp.exe" in it
- you create a patch between the 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 versions of the package
- in the updates configuration project the detection criteria of this patch should be the file "MyApp.exe" with the version 1.0.1
in patch project I select .msi3 as new version msi, but what should I select for old version .msi1 or .msi2 ?
The second patch should be created between the new version and the newest version installed by the user. In your case, the second patch should be created between .msi3 (upgraded) and .msi2 (target).
as I have place the patch file on server, for next patch should I repalce it by new .msp file ?
No, each patch should be a different file (update).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”