nilesh_bahirshet

.exe version issue...

I have already you asked the question about .exe version
as you have given me the answer as bellow..

Your Answer :
Like I explained before, the version of your file is NOT RELATED to the version of the installation package. Each of the is set independently:
- the version of your file is set from its source code
- the version of the package is set in the Advanced Installer project.

1)I am devloping the project in VS 2005,
now for patch of my application, Whether I have to change the version of applications .exe as well as the ther package version of advance installer ?
I dont know how to change the version of my .exe by code .. How to do that ?
this method should I follow for the upgradtion of my project too?

2)I have made small project for testing of advance Installer .. Now I am trying to upgrade the project ..
but while upgrading(I dont want to create patch) the project it downloads as size of previously installed application on clients machine..
I have made some major change in my application . .
so what can I do for minimizing the size of download of .exe ?

3)While testing advance Installer for another application, the update downloaded but as I am going to check for updates again immidiatly for second time
then ,It shows the wizard and ask for
"The Setup Wizard will allow you to change the way APPLICATION_NAME features are installedon yopur computer or even remove Application from your
computer.Click next or cancel to exit the setup wizard'
and after clicking the next >> Button It ask for modify,Remove,Repair...
Why is this showing this wizard ?
Cosmin

Re: .exe version issue...

Hi,
Whether I have to change the version of applications .exe as well as the ther package version of advance installer ?
A patch is done when something needs to be modified in the installed application. If the file which has been modified has a version, its version needs to be increased. Also, every time you create a patch, the version of the upgraded package needs to be higher than the version of the target package.

Therefore, in your case, both versions need to be increased (the version of your application and the version of the package).
I dont know how to change the version of my .exe by code .. How to do that ?
This depends on the language in which you are writing your application.
this method should I follow for the upgradtion of my project too?
The version of the package can be changed by modifying the "Product Version" field in the "Product Details" page of your Advanced Installer project.
but while upgrading(I dont want to create patch) the project it downloads as size of previously installed application on clients machine..
I have made some major change in my application . .
so what can I do for minimizing the size of download of .exe ?
You can try reducing the size of the package by using LZMA compression. For this you can select the "Archive installation files using LZMA compression for smallest package size" option in the "Media" tab of the "Media" page.
"The Setup Wizard will allow you to change the way APPLICATION_NAME features are installedon yopur computer or even remove Application from your
computer.Click next or cancel to exit the setup wizard'
and after clicking the next >> Button It ask for modify,Remove,Repair...
Why is this showing this wizard ?
This is shown when you run launch a package which is already installed (the MSI enters into Maintenance mode). During maintenance mode, you can modify, repair or remove the installation by using the package (an alternative to "Add or Remove Programs").

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”