nilesh_bahirshet

Version issue partly solved But...

Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:49 am

I have succsessfully overcome from the problem of changing version of installed .exe on clients machine..
the .exe file version changes after installtion of a patch ..working fine..
but as I have posts earlier
1) The installation problem for reapeatative "check for updates" is same..
( after "Check for updates" 1st time it downloads the updates and installs too .. but If I try to check updates again immidiatly
then it dont donwloads the patches again, but it install the patch again.)

2) There is any way to get the patches silently on users machine ?

3) for updates if I select the size in "Installation Detection" for updates the patching mechanisaome works fine,,
but If I select version in "Installation Detection" then it downloads and install the patch too but and end of the
installtion it shows an error "some files are not installed properly" although this error message comes my application works fine with
the updates

4) As we select the the version in the "Install detection" in the Upgradation Project .. which version it shows ?
it is related to assambly version of .exe or file version of .exe ?
why it shows in format 1.0.1.0 ? why it dont shows the format 1.0.0.1 ?

5) If I am upgrading the project (not patching ) whether I have to change the file version and assembly version of .exe file both ?
( I am devlping my application in VS 2005 )

6) for patching whether I have to change the assembly version and file version of .exe both ?

Cosmin

Re: Version issue partly solved But...

Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi,
after "Check for updates" 1st time it downloads the updates and installs too .. but If I try to check updates again immidiatly
then it dont donwloads the patches again, but it install the patch again.
This happens because you are using an incorrect detection criteria (the update criteria is not met after the patch is installed).
There is any way to get the patches silently on users machine ?
Yes, this can be done by using the "/qb" parameter in the "Command Line" field of the Properties tab of the "Updates" page in your Updates Configuration project.
but If I select version in "Installation Detection" then it downloads and install the patch too but and end of the
installtion it shows an error "some files are not installed properly" although this error message comes my application works fine with
the updates
This happens because the detection criteria of the update is not met after the update is installed (the file you are using is not updated to the required version after the update is installed).
As we select the the version in the "Install detection" in the Upgradation Project .. which version it shows ?
When you set the version by selecting a file on the disk, the "Version" field will contain the version of the selected file.
it is related to assambly version of .exe or file version of .exe ?
The "Version" field shows the file version of the selected file.
why it shows in format 1.0.1.0 ? why it dont shows the format 1.0.0.1 ?
Please note that the "Version" field shows the version of the selected file. Therefore, if it shows "1.0.1.0" then the version of the selected file is "1.0.1.0". It doesn't show "1.0.0.1" because this is not the version of the selected file (1.0.1.0 is different from 1.0.0.1).
If I am upgrading the project (not patching ) whether I have to change the file version and assembly version of .exe file both ?
Windows Installer uses the assembly version only if the file is installed into the Global Assembly Cache. Since this is not the case for your packages, you can change only the file version of your EXE.
for patching whether I have to change the assembly version and file version of .exe both ?
The assembly version can be changed when you want to update a file installed into the Global Assembly Cache.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”